Jan 7, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
Courtesy our outstanding NHL on NBC research team, here’s an Excel spreadsheet listing all 30 teams and the players who’ve been invited to participate in the upcoming Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
As you can see, the Red Wings, Blues and Blackhawks each have 10 players going over. No team has more than that.
Meanwhile, the Flames, Panthers, Oilers, Senators, and Predators each have two players going over. No team has fewer than that.
If there’s an angle to discuss here, it may be the benefit of rest for a playoff run. Not that the Blackhawks had any trouble with Olympic fatigue in 2010, but might a team like the San Jose Sharks receive an energy advantage with key players like Joe Thornton, Logan Couture and Dan Boyle getting passed over by Canada?
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 3
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 35
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 25
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 49
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)