Jan 7, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
Courtesy our outstanding NHL on NBC research team, here’s an Excel spreadsheet listing all 30 teams and the players who’ve been invited to participate in the upcoming Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
As you can see, the Red Wings, Blues and Blackhawks each have 10 players going over. No team has more than that.
Meanwhile, the Flames, Panthers, Oilers, Senators, and Predators each have two players going over. No team has fewer than that.
If there’s an angle to discuss here, it may be the benefit of rest for a playoff run. Not that the Blackhawks had any trouble with Olympic fatigue in 2010, but might a team like the San Jose Sharks receive an energy advantage with key players like Joe Thornton, Logan Couture and Dan Boyle getting passed over by Canada?
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (86)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)