Jan 7, 2014, 3:58 PM EDT
Courtesy our outstanding NHL on NBC research team, here’s an Excel spreadsheet listing all 30 teams and the players who’ve been invited to participate in the upcoming Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia.
As you can see, the Red Wings, Blues and Blackhawks each have 10 players going over. No team has more than that.
Meanwhile, the Flames, Panthers, Oilers, Senators, and Predators each have two players going over. No team has fewer than that.
If there’s an angle to discuss here, it may be the benefit of rest for a playoff run. Not that the Blackhawks had any trouble with Olympic fatigue in 2010, but might a team like the San Jose Sharks receive an energy advantage with key players like Joe Thornton, Logan Couture and Dan Boyle getting passed over by Canada?
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 12
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18