Jan 7, 2014, 5:53 PM EDT
On Tuesday, Brough and I spoke with NBC’s Kay Adams immediately following the announcement of Canada’s Olympic roster and discussed a number of topics — specifically, the inclusions of Chris Kunitz and Jeff Carter and the omissions of Claude Giroux and Martin St. Louis.
On snubbing St. Louis, here’s what Canada GM Steve Yzerman — who also serves as St. Louis’ GM in Tampa Bay — had to say:
“I’m hopeful that we can get through this. He’s a guy that I want to finish his career (in Tampa). I’m hopeful that somehow we can be fortunate enough to win a Stanley Cup. He’s going to play for as long as he chooses and (I hope) that we’re going to have success there.
“There’s not much I can say—I can’t apologize. We’ve got to make these decisions.”
Brough and I also talked about the strengths of the Canadian roster, and refused to acknowledge any weaknesses because GOLD MEDAL IN 2010, Y’ALL.
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 0
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 53
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 26
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (62)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)