Jan 7, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
There were few surprises as Austria announced its Olympic team for the 2014 Winter Olympics on Tuesday, as all three of the country’s NHLers — Thomas Vanek, Michael Grabner and Michael Raffl — were named to the squad.
The trio will be joined by ex-Rangers and Islanders defenseman Thomas Pock. Pock, 32, appeared in 118 career NHL contests between 2003-09, last suiting up for the Isles during the ’08-09 campaign.
Here is the team in full, per TSN:
Goaltenders: Bernhard Starkbaum, Rene Swette, Fabian Weinhandl.
Defence: Mario Altmann, Florian Iberer, Andre Lakos, Robert Lukas, Thomas Pock, Matthias Trattnig, Stefan Ulmer, Gerhard Unterluggauer.
Forwards: Michael Grabner, Raphael Herburger, Thomas Hundertpfund, Matthias Iberer, Thomas Koch, Andreas Kristler, Manuel Latusa, Brian Lebler, Daniel Oberkofler, Michael Raffl, Thomas Raffl, Oliver Setzinger, Thomas Vanek, Daniel Welser.
UPDATE: Fabian Weinhandl has been replaced with goaltender Mathias Lange. Andreas Kristler is also out, which created an opening for former Philadelphia Flyers and Carolina Hurricanes forward Andreas Nodl.
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 6
- WATCH LIVE: Washington Capitals at Pittsburgh Penguins 2
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 13
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 54
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 11
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 27
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 19
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (68)
- Flyers’ Luke Schenn on first-period brawl: ‘That’s the way it goes’ (57)