Jan 7, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
There were few surprises as Austria announced its Olympic team for the 2014 Winter Olympics on Tuesday, as all three of the country’s NHLers — Thomas Vanek, Michael Grabner and Michael Raffl — were named to the squad.
The trio will be joined by ex-Rangers and Islanders defenseman Thomas Pock. Pock, 32, appeared in 118 career NHL contests between 2003-09, last suiting up for the Isles during the ’08-09 campaign.
Here is the team in full, per TSN:
Goaltenders: Bernhard Starkbaum, Rene Swette, Fabian Weinhandl.
Defence: Mario Altmann, Florian Iberer, Andre Lakos, Robert Lukas, Thomas Pock, Matthias Trattnig, Stefan Ulmer, Gerhard Unterluggauer.
Forwards: Michael Grabner, Raphael Herburger, Thomas Hundertpfund, Matthias Iberer, Thomas Koch, Andreas Kristler, Manuel Latusa, Brian Lebler, Daniel Oberkofler, Michael Raffl, Thomas Raffl, Oliver Setzinger, Thomas Vanek, Daniel Welser.
UPDATE: Fabian Weinhandl has been replaced with goaltender Mathias Lange. Andreas Kristler is also out, which created an opening for former Philadelphia Flyers and Carolina Hurricanes forward Andreas Nodl.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6