Jan 7, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
There were few surprises as Austria announced its Olympic team for the 2014 Winter Olympics on Tuesday, as all three of the country’s NHLers — Thomas Vanek, Michael Grabner and Michael Raffl — were named to the squad.
The trio will be joined by ex-Rangers and Islanders defenseman Thomas Pock. Pock, 32, appeared in 118 career NHL contests between 2003-09, last suiting up for the Isles during the ’08-09 campaign.
Here is the team in full, per TSN:
Goaltenders: Bernhard Starkbaum, Rene Swette, Fabian Weinhandl.
Defence: Mario Altmann, Florian Iberer, Andre Lakos, Robert Lukas, Thomas Pock, Matthias Trattnig, Stefan Ulmer, Gerhard Unterluggauer.
Forwards: Michael Grabner, Raphael Herburger, Thomas Hundertpfund, Matthias Iberer, Thomas Koch, Andreas Kristler, Manuel Latusa, Brian Lebler, Daniel Oberkofler, Michael Raffl, Thomas Raffl, Oliver Setzinger, Thomas Vanek, Daniel Welser.
UPDATE: Fabian Weinhandl has been replaced with goaltender Mathias Lange. Andreas Kristler is also out, which created an opening for former Philadelphia Flyers and Carolina Hurricanes forward Andreas Nodl.
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 38
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 21
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)