Jan 7, 2014, 10:25 AM EDT
There were few surprises as Austria announced its Olympic team for the 2014 Winter Olympics on Tuesday, as all three of the country’s NHLers — Thomas Vanek, Michael Grabner and Michael Raffl — were named to the squad.
The trio will be joined by ex-Rangers and Islanders defenseman Thomas Pock. Pock, 32, appeared in 118 career NHL contests between 2003-09, last suiting up for the Isles during the ’08-09 campaign.
Here is the team in full, per TSN:
Goaltenders: Bernhard Starkbaum, Rene Swette, Fabian Weinhandl.
Defence: Mario Altmann, Florian Iberer, Andre Lakos, Robert Lukas, Thomas Pock, Matthias Trattnig, Stefan Ulmer, Gerhard Unterluggauer.
Forwards: Michael Grabner, Raphael Herburger, Thomas Hundertpfund, Matthias Iberer, Thomas Koch, Andreas Kristler, Manuel Latusa, Brian Lebler, Daniel Oberkofler, Michael Raffl, Thomas Raffl, Oliver Setzinger, Thomas Vanek, Daniel Welser.
UPDATE: Fabian Weinhandl has been replaced with goaltender Mathias Lange. Andreas Kristler is also out, which created an opening for former Philadelphia Flyers and Carolina Hurricanes forward Andreas Nodl.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 7
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 56
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (56)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)