Jan 7, 2014, 11:41 AM EDT
Let the debates begin.
Following Tuesday’s announcement of the Canadian Olympic roster, focus shifted to who didn’t make the team — and it was an intense focus to say the least.
A trio of captains — Philly’s Claude Giroux, Tampa Bay’s Martin St. Louis and San Jose’s Joe Thornton — were all left off Team Canada, as were defensemen Brent Seabrook and Dan Boyle, gold medalists at the 2010 games in Vancouver.
Giroux’s omission completes a fall from grace in the eyes of Hockey Canada. Prior to his rough start, Giroux was thought to be a heavy favorite for a spot on the team, and was invited to this summer’s orientation camp (that he bailed on, which reportedly didn’t go over well.)
St. Louis’ omission will sting, as the veteran was looking to again represent his country on the Olympic stage. The 38-year-old played in ’06 and was named an alternate for the Vancouver games four years ago, but never got a chance to suit up.
Thornton, the NHL’s fifth-leading scorer (48 points), had represented his country at the ’06 and ’10 Olympics but was thought to be on the outside looking in this time around, largely due to Canada’s depth at center.
Other noteworthy snubs include:
— Former 40-goal scorer James Neal.
— Tyler Seguin, the fifth-leading Canadian goalscorer (21).
— Edmonton’s Taylor Hall, who has 41 points through 38 games this year.
— Pittsburgh’s Kris Letang, a Norris finalist last season.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)