Jan 7, 2014, 11:41 AM EST
Let the debates begin.
Following Tuesday’s announcement of the Canadian Olympic roster, focus shifted to who didn’t make the team — and it was an intense focus to say the least.
A trio of captains — Philly’s Claude Giroux, Tampa Bay’s Martin St. Louis and San Jose’s Joe Thornton — were all left off Team Canada, as were defensemen Brent Seabrook and Dan Boyle, gold medalists at the 2010 games in Vancouver.
Giroux’s omission completes a fall from grace in the eyes of Hockey Canada. Prior to his rough start, Giroux was thought to be a heavy favorite for a spot on the team, and was invited to this summer’s orientation camp (that he bailed on, which reportedly didn’t go over well.)
St. Louis’ omission will sting, as the veteran was looking to again represent his country on the Olympic stage. The 38-year-old played in ’06 and was named an alternate for the Vancouver games four years ago, but never got a chance to suit up.
Thornton, the NHL’s fifth-leading scorer (48 points), had represented his country at the ’06 and ’10 Olympics but was thought to be on the outside looking in this time around, largely due to Canada’s depth at center.
Other noteworthy snubs include:
– Former 40-goal scorer James Neal.
– Tyler Seguin, the fifth-leading Canadian goalscorer (21).
– Edmonton’s Taylor Hall, who has 41 points through 38 games this year.
– Pittsburgh’s Kris Letang, a Norris finalist last season.
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 4
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 4
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 2
- Devils fire DeBoer 20
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 4
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 18
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)