Jan 7, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
Logan Couture is going under the knife.
On Tuesday, Sharks GM Doug Wilson released a statement explaining that Couture’s upper-body injury — believed to be an issue with his hand — was becoming too difficult to play through, and that surgery would be required.
“For the past several weeks, Logan has been dealing and playing with an upper body injury,” Wilson said. “Despite his efforts to play through it, the injury has not responded as we had hoped and Logan has made the decision to undergo a surgical procedure to repair the problem.
“While the timing of the procedure is not ideal, Logan feels it is in his and the team’s best interest to get the problem rectified now. Logan will undergo surgery on Wed., Jan. 8 and we will have a better update on the recovery time following the procedure.”
Couture is expected to be named to Team Canada’s Olympic team today, so it’ll be interesting to see how this injury plays into to his availability when the games get underway in early February. CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz reports the surgery could keep Couture out for up to four weeks.
Couture, 24, sits fourth on the Sharks in scoring this year, with 14 goals and 34 points through 43 games.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Without Shea Weber, Predators can’t contain Hawks in Game 3 8
- Video: Tavares, Islanders take 2-1 series lead with OT win 19
- Watch Live: Predators at Blackhawks 0
- Watch Live: Capitals at Islanders 3
- Sens turn to Anderson for Game 3 5
- Silfverberg scores winner with 21 seconds remaining, Ducks complete comeback over Jets 13
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 84
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 70
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 167
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (167)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (84)