Jan 7, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
Logan Couture is going under the knife.
On Tuesday, Sharks GM Doug Wilson released a statement explaining that Couture’s upper-body injury — believed to be an issue with his hand — was becoming too difficult to play through, and that surgery would be required.
“For the past several weeks, Logan has been dealing and playing with an upper body injury,” Wilson said. “Despite his efforts to play through it, the injury has not responded as we had hoped and Logan has made the decision to undergo a surgical procedure to repair the problem.
“While the timing of the procedure is not ideal, Logan feels it is in his and the team’s best interest to get the problem rectified now. Logan will undergo surgery on Wed., Jan. 8 and we will have a better update on the recovery time following the procedure.”
Couture is expected to be named to Team Canada’s Olympic team today, so it’ll be interesting to see how this injury plays into to his availability when the games get underway in early February. CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz reports the surgery could keep Couture out for up to four weeks.
Couture, 24, sits fourth on the Sharks in scoring this year, with 14 goals and 34 points through 43 games.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 0
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 5
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 15
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 20
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 24
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5