Jan 7, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
Logan Couture is going under the knife.
On Tuesday, Sharks GM Doug Wilson released a statement explaining that Couture’s upper-body injury — believed to be an issue with his hand — was becoming too difficult to play through, and that surgery would be required.
“For the past several weeks, Logan has been dealing and playing with an upper body injury,” Wilson said. “Despite his efforts to play through it, the injury has not responded as we had hoped and Logan has made the decision to undergo a surgical procedure to repair the problem.
“While the timing of the procedure is not ideal, Logan feels it is in his and the team’s best interest to get the problem rectified now. Logan will undergo surgery on Wed., Jan. 8 and we will have a better update on the recovery time following the procedure.”
Couture is expected to be named to Team Canada’s Olympic team today, so it’ll be interesting to see how this injury plays into to his availability when the games get underway in early February. CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz reports the surgery could keep Couture out for up to four weeks.
Couture, 24, sits fourth on the Sharks in scoring this year, with 14 goals and 34 points through 43 games.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 0
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 8
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)