Jan 7, 2014, 10:18 AM EST
Logan Couture is going under the knife.
On Tuesday, Sharks GM Doug Wilson released a statement explaining that Couture’s upper-body injury — believed to be an issue with his hand — was becoming too difficult to play through, and that surgery would be required.
“For the past several weeks, Logan has been dealing and playing with an upper body injury,” Wilson said. “Despite his efforts to play through it, the injury has not responded as we had hoped and Logan has made the decision to undergo a surgical procedure to repair the problem.
“While the timing of the procedure is not ideal, Logan feels it is in his and the team’s best interest to get the problem rectified now. Logan will undergo surgery on Wed., Jan. 8 and we will have a better update on the recovery time following the procedure.”
Couture is expected to be named to Team Canada’s Olympic team today, so it’ll be interesting to see how this injury plays into to his availability when the games get underway in early February. CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz reports the surgery could keep Couture out for up to four weeks.
Couture, 24, sits fourth on the Sharks in scoring this year, with 14 goals and 34 points through 43 games.
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 19
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)