Jan 7, 2014, 10:18 AM EDT
Logan Couture is going under the knife.
On Tuesday, Sharks GM Doug Wilson released a statement explaining that Couture’s upper-body injury — believed to be an issue with his hand — was becoming too difficult to play through, and that surgery would be required.
“For the past several weeks, Logan has been dealing and playing with an upper body injury,” Wilson said. “Despite his efforts to play through it, the injury has not responded as we had hoped and Logan has made the decision to undergo a surgical procedure to repair the problem.
“While the timing of the procedure is not ideal, Logan feels it is in his and the team’s best interest to get the problem rectified now. Logan will undergo surgery on Wed., Jan. 8 and we will have a better update on the recovery time following the procedure.”
Couture is expected to be named to Team Canada’s Olympic team today, so it’ll be interesting to see how this injury plays into to his availability when the games get underway in early February. CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz reports the surgery could keep Couture out for up to four weeks.
Couture, 24, sits fourth on the Sharks in scoring this year, with 14 goals and 34 points through 43 games.
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 39
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)