Jan 7, 2014, 1:12 AM EST
Jean-Sebastien Giguere was on the receiving end of a strong critique from his Colorado Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy on Monday.
Giguere allowed four goals on only 19 shots and the Avalanche lost to the Calgary Flames, losers of four in a row coming into the night, by a final score of 4-3. In their four previous games, Calgary had been shut out three times and outscored 10-1 by the opposition.
But they managed to find the back of the net with regularity on Monday.
And Roy didn’t hold back his thoughts of his goalies performance, or his showing over the last few games. The 36-year-old Giguere has lost his last four starts, allowing a combined 17 goals in that span.
“I think Jiggy should have played better tonight. We’re not going to look at our team. We might not have had the jump we should have, but Jiggy needs to be better,” said Roy, as per The Denver Post.
“He hasn’t played well in the last four or five games. He should stand up and say, ‘I’m not playing up to what I should.’ And he did not. He needs to be better, and we need him playing better. Period.”
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 17
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (67)