Jan 7, 2014, 1:12 AM EDT
Jean-Sebastien Giguere was on the receiving end of a strong critique from his Colorado Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy on Monday.
Giguere allowed four goals on only 19 shots and the Avalanche lost to the Calgary Flames, losers of four in a row coming into the night, by a final score of 4-3. In their four previous games, Calgary had been shut out three times and outscored 10-1 by the opposition.
But they managed to find the back of the net with regularity on Monday.
And Roy didn’t hold back his thoughts of his goalies performance, or his showing over the last few games. The 36-year-old Giguere has lost his last four starts, allowing a combined 17 goals in that span.
“I think Jiggy should have played better tonight. We’re not going to look at our team. We might not have had the jump we should have, but Jiggy needs to be better,” said Roy, as per The Denver Post.
“He hasn’t played well in the last four or five games. He should stand up and say, ‘I’m not playing up to what I should.’ And he did not. He needs to be better, and we need him playing better. Period.”
- Wild hoping last change can help turn the tide versus Avs 0
- Wild changes: Kuemper starts, Brodziak sits, Heatley draws in 2
- No hearing scheduled for Richards after Couture spear 8
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 14
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 25
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 31
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 68
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (152)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (112)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)