Jan 7, 2014, 1:12 AM EDT
Jean-Sebastien Giguere was on the receiving end of a strong critique from his Colorado Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy on Monday.
Giguere allowed four goals on only 19 shots and the Avalanche lost to the Calgary Flames, losers of four in a row coming into the night, by a final score of 4-3. In their four previous games, Calgary had been shut out three times and outscored 10-1 by the opposition.
But they managed to find the back of the net with regularity on Monday.
And Roy didn’t hold back his thoughts of his goalies performance, or his showing over the last few games. The 36-year-old Giguere has lost his last four starts, allowing a combined 17 goals in that span.
“I think Jiggy should have played better tonight. We’re not going to look at our team. We might not have had the jump we should have, but Jiggy needs to be better,” said Roy, as per The Denver Post.
“He hasn’t played well in the last four or five games. He should stand up and say, ‘I’m not playing up to what I should.’ And he did not. He needs to be better, and we need him playing better. Period.”
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 0
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 6
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)