Jan 7, 2014, 1:12 AM EDT
Jean-Sebastien Giguere was on the receiving end of a strong critique from his Colorado Avalanche head coach Patrick Roy on Monday.
Giguere allowed four goals on only 19 shots and the Avalanche lost to the Calgary Flames, losers of four in a row coming into the night, by a final score of 4-3. In their four previous games, Calgary had been shut out three times and outscored 10-1 by the opposition.
But they managed to find the back of the net with regularity on Monday.
And Roy didn’t hold back his thoughts of his goalies performance, or his showing over the last few games. The 36-year-old Giguere has lost his last four starts, allowing a combined 17 goals in that span.
“I think Jiggy should have played better tonight. We’re not going to look at our team. We might not have had the jump we should have, but Jiggy needs to be better,” said Roy, as per The Denver Post.
“He hasn’t played well in the last four or five games. He should stand up and say, ‘I’m not playing up to what I should.’ And he did not. He needs to be better, and we need him playing better. Period.”
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 36
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)