Jan 7, 2014, 2:21 PM EDT
Has Nikolai Khabibulin played his last game in the NHL?
The Chicago Blackhawks announced today that the 40-year-old goalie underwent successful surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder, news that raised the aforementioned question.
“The procedure went very well and I anticipate a full recovery,” Dr. Michael Terry said in a release. “He should be able to return to hockey in four to five months.”
Khabibulin is a pending unrestricted free agent and has struggled in limited appearances this season. If he can’t return this year, it’s hard to see the four-time All Star catching on with an NHL team next year.
But if he does retire, at least he’ll go out with a Stanley Cup ring (Tampa Bay, 2004).
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 3
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 11
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)