Jan 7, 2014, 2:21 PM EST
Has Nikolai Khabibulin played his last game in the NHL?
The Chicago Blackhawks announced today that the 40-year-old goalie underwent successful surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder, news that raised the aforementioned question.
“The procedure went very well and I anticipate a full recovery,” Dr. Michael Terry said in a release. “He should be able to return to hockey in four to five months.”
Khabibulin is a pending unrestricted free agent and has struggled in limited appearances this season. If he can’t return this year, it’s hard to see the four-time All Star catching on with an NHL team next year.
But if he does retire, at least he’ll go out with a Stanley Cup ring (Tampa Bay, 2004).
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 10
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 27
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 6
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 77
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (77)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)