Jan 7, 2014, 2:21 PM EST
Has Nikolai Khabibulin played his last game in the NHL?
The Chicago Blackhawks announced today that the 40-year-old goalie underwent successful surgery to repair a torn rotator cuff in his right shoulder, news that raised the aforementioned question.
“The procedure went very well and I anticipate a full recovery,” Dr. Michael Terry said in a release. “He should be able to return to hockey in four to five months.”
Khabibulin is a pending unrestricted free agent and has struggled in limited appearances this season. If he can’t return this year, it’s hard to see the four-time All Star catching on with an NHL team next year.
But if he does retire, at least he’ll go out with a Stanley Cup ring (Tampa Bay, 2004).
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 27
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 14
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 84
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 4
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 15
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)