Jan 7, 2014, 9:11 AM EST
Slovakia isn’t a favorite to go far in the 2014 Winter Olympics, but they shouldn’t be overlooked either. They released its Olympic roster today and it features no shortage of NHL talent.
Perhaps the country’s biggest road block though will be the health of the team. They’re hoping that both Marian Gaborik (broken collarbone) and defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky (concussion) will be available for the Games.
Between the pipes, Slovakia will likely use Jaroslav Halak as its starting goaltender. Halak served in that capacity in 2010 and played a key role in the country’s 2-1 shootout victory over Russia in the Preliminary round.
As for notable omissions…well, there weren’t any. All 14 Slovak NHLers made the team.
Here’s the roster in full:
Goaltenders: Peter Budaj, Jaroslav Halak, Jan Laco
Forwards: Milan Bartovic, Marian Gaborik, Michal Handzus, Marcel Hossa, Marian Hossa, Tomas Jurco, Tomas Kopecky, Tomas Marcinko, Michel Miklik, Peter Ölvecky, Richard Panik, Tomas Surovy, Tomas Tatar, Tomas Zaborsky
UPDATE: Slovakia has had no luck since announcing their roster. They won’t have Michal Sersen, Dominik Granak, Marian Gaborik, and Lubomir Visnovsky. In their place are defensemen Milan Jurcina, Tomas Starosta, and Rene Vydareny as well as forward Branko Radivojevic.
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 0
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 0
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 13
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 17
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 40
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10