Jan 7, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Slovakia isn’t a favorite to go far in the 2014 Winter Olympics, but they shouldn’t be overlooked either. They released its Olympic roster today and it features no shortage of NHL talent.
Perhaps the country’s biggest road block though will be the health of the team. They’re hoping that both Marian Gaborik (broken collarbone) and defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky (concussion) will be available for the Games.
Between the pipes, Slovakia will likely use Jaroslav Halak as its starting goaltender. Halak served in that capacity in 2010 and played a key role in the country’s 2-1 shootout victory over Russia in the Preliminary round.
As for notable omissions…well, there weren’t any. All 14 Slovak NHLers made the team.
Here’s the roster in full:
Goaltenders: Peter Budaj, Jaroslav Halak, Jan Laco
Forwards: Milan Bartovic, Marian Gaborik, Michal Handzus, Marcel Hossa, Marian Hossa, Tomas Jurco, Tomas Kopecky, Tomas Marcinko, Michel Miklik, Peter Ölvecky, Richard Panik, Tomas Surovy, Tomas Tatar, Tomas Zaborsky
UPDATE: Slovakia has had no luck since announcing their roster. They won’t have Michal Sersen, Dominik Granak, Marian Gaborik, and Lubomir Visnovsky. In their place are defensemen Milan Jurcina, Tomas Starosta, and Rene Vydareny as well as forward Branko Radivojevic.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 3
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 5
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 9
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 32
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Stayin’ Alive: Canucks stage comeback of their own, send series back to Calgary 5
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 76
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)