Jan 7, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Slovakia isn’t a favorite to go far in the 2014 Winter Olympics, but they shouldn’t be overlooked either. They released its Olympic roster today and it features no shortage of NHL talent.
Perhaps the country’s biggest road block though will be the health of the team. They’re hoping that both Marian Gaborik (broken collarbone) and defenseman Lubomir Visnovsky (concussion) will be available for the Games.
Between the pipes, Slovakia will likely use Jaroslav Halak as its starting goaltender. Halak served in that capacity in 2010 and played a key role in the country’s 2-1 shootout victory over Russia in the Preliminary round.
As for notable omissions…well, there weren’t any. All 14 Slovak NHLers made the team.
Here’s the roster in full:
Goaltenders: Peter Budaj, Jaroslav Halak, Jan Laco
Forwards: Milan Bartovic, Marian Gaborik, Michal Handzus, Marcel Hossa, Marian Hossa, Tomas Jurco, Tomas Kopecky, Tomas Marcinko, Michel Miklik, Peter Ölvecky, Richard Panik, Tomas Surovy, Tomas Tatar, Tomas Zaborsky
UPDATE: Slovakia has had no luck since announcing their roster. They won’t have Michal Sersen, Dominik Granak, Marian Gaborik, and Lubomir Visnovsky. In their place are defensemen Milan Jurcina, Tomas Starosta, and Rene Vydareny as well as forward Branko Radivojevic.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 25
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 6
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 14
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (25)