Jan 7, 2014, 11:29 AM EDT
Hockey Canada has announced its roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia. Without further ado, here it is:
Forwards (14): Jamie Benn, Patrice Bergeron, Jeff Carter, Sidney Crosby, Matt Duchene, Ryan Getzlaf, Chris Kunitz, Patrick Marleau, Rick Nash, Corey Perry, Patrick Sharp, Steven Stamkos, John Tavares, Jonathan Toews
UPDATE: Despite his best efforts, Steven Stamkos won’t be joining Team Canada due to a broken tibia. His Tampa Bay Lightning teammate, Martin St. Louis, was selected to fill the void.
Just a few quick thoughts (same as we did for the Americans’ roster announcement):
— Canada is the clear-cut favorite to defend its gold medal. On paper, this team shouldn’t have trouble with much of anything. Goaltending will be the one area that’s questioned, and if there’s going to be a downfall, that may well be it. But both Luongo and Price are enjoying solid NHL seasons and could just as easily be spectacular in Sochi. Remember that Luongo already got it done in 2010, and that was despite the immense pressure of playing at home in Vancouver, and Price is right there in the conversation for the Vezina Trophy in 2013-14.
— Canada boasts three of the top four scorers in the NHL (Crosby, Tavares, Getzlaf) and didn’t have room for Joe Thornton (5th), not to mention Martin St. Louis and Claude Giroux. But the Canadian forwards do more than score — in Toews and Bergeron, the two last Selke Trophy winners, Canada can deploy two of the premier 200-foot players in the game. That’s going to be important if they ever go up against the host Russians, whose overwhelming strength is in their top-six forwards.
— Last but certainly not least, the defense. Only Sweden comes close to matching the “depth of talent” (one of executive director Steve Yzerman’s favorite phrases) on Canada’s blue line. Keith and Doughty are recent Stanley Cup-winners who should see plenty of ice time, just like they did paired together in Vancouver. Weber provides a physical presence and a booming shot. Bouwmeester can skate for miles, likely paired with St. Louis teammate Pietrangelo. And Vlasic and Hamhuis are about as reliable as it gets. As for Subban, it’s telling that the defending Norris Trophy winner was no lock to make the team. At this point, it’s unclear how much coach Mike Babcock will play the 24-year-old, or even if he’ll dress for all the games.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:01 AM EDT
Just a precautionary measure, said GM Jim Rutherford.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
He spent a lot of time on the sidelines last season, but Pittsburgh leaned on him heavily when he was healthy.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:00 AM EDT
Selanne was diplomatic after being made a healthy scratch, but now he’s opening up.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
Is it still reasonable to believe this might have a relatively happy ending for both sides?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:57 AM EDT
Thursday’s collection of links.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:48 PM EDT
Brendan Bell also gets a chance to impress.
Sep 17, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
A clothing-conscious post.
Sep 17, 2014, 8:59 PM EDT
His back issues present another headache for Columbus.
Sep 17, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
He has 44 games of NHL experience under his belt.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:39 PM EDT
Insert your “humongous big” jokes here.
Sep 17, 2014, 6:24 PM EDT
Quite an open letter.
Sep 17, 2014, 5:26 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 5:01 PM EDT
His agent says it’s best to leave town and avoiding being a distraction.
Sep 17, 2014, 3:09 PM EDT
“No matter how much my old teammates say it doesn’t bother them, it affects them. It does in that city.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
And on the possibility of his client signing an offer sheet? “Well, we’ll have to see.”
Sep 17, 2014, 2:14 PM EDT
“Justin has emerged as one of our most well-rounded and dependable defensemen.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:34 PM EDT
“We’ve been told if we don’t give them what they want, they’ll be leaving town.”
Sep 17, 2014, 1:05 PM EDT
Veteran d-man just turned 40 years old.
Sep 17, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Sep 17, 2014, 12:21 PM EDT
“That is significantly good to hear.”
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 0
- Selanne offers harsh criticism of Boudreau’s handling of him 8
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 13
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 9
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 19
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 21
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 51
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (51)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)