Jan 7, 2014, 2:10 PM EST
Montreal suffered a big blow on Tuesday, as the club announced forward Alex Galchenyuk would miss the next six weeks with a broken hand suffered against Florida last night.
Galchenyuk, 19, is in his second season with the Habs after being taken third overall at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft. Following a solid rookie campaign — 18 points in 48 games — the American forward has been very good in his sophomore season, sitting fourth on the team in points this year (with 23.)
Galchenyuk also averages close to 15 minutes a night and has been a key energy player for the Canadiens, along with fellow youngsters Lars Eller and Brenden Gallagher.
If there is a silver lining to the broken hand, it’s that Galchenyuk’s recovery will coincide with the Olympic break. He was considered to be in the running for a spot on the U.S. team, but was ultimately passed over — meaning he’ll have nearly two full weeks to heal while the NHL is off from Feb. 9-25.
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 0
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 17
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 29
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 75
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- Video: Lindros and LeClair inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 13
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (75)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)