Jan 7, 2014, 10:56 AM EST
No shortage of interesting plot lines from today’s Latvian Olympic team announcement.
Led by Buffalo Sabres head coach Ted Nolan, the Latvians named one of their most decorated international veterans — 41-year-old defenseman Sandis Ozolinsh — and a player many consider to be the future of Latvian hockey, 20-year-old Sabres forward Zemgus Girgensons.
Ozolinsh, who appeared in nearly 900 NHL games with San Jose, Colorado, Carolina, Florida, Anaheim and the New York Rangers, was a star blueliner on the ’96 Avs team that won the Stanley Cup, leading all Colorado defensemen in scoring during the regular season and playoffs.
Now, almost 20 years later, Ozolinsh is still playing for Dinamo Riga of the KHL.
Girgensons, the highest-drafted Latvian in NHL history (14th overall, 2012), is in his first season with the Sabres. The gritty center has four goals and 14 points through 41 games this year, earning high praise from Nolan.
“The one thing you can’t teach somebody is to give them that work ethic that he has,” Nolan told the Buffalo News.
Aside from Ozolinsh and Girgensons, the Latvians will have a decent amount of NHL experience. Former Flyers d-man Oskars Bartilus was named to the team, as was former Winnipeg defenseman Arturs Kulda.
Up front, ex-Sens forward Kaspars Daugavins made the cut, as did former Lightning/Bruins winger Martins Karsums.
Here’s the roster in full, per TSN:
Goaltenders: Kristers Gudlevskis, Edgars Masalskis, Ervins Mustukovs.
Defence: Oskars Bartulis, Ralfs Freibergs, Arturs Kulda, Sandis Ozolinsh, Georgijs Pujacs, Krisjanis Redlihs, Arvids Rekis, Kristaps Sotnieks.
Forwards: Armands Berzins, Martins Cipulis, Lauris Darzins, Kaspars Daugavins, Zemgus Girgensons, Miks Indrasis, Koba Jass, Martins Karsums, Ronalds Kenins, Vitalijs Pavlovs, Mikelis Redlihs, Janis Sprukts, Juris Stals, Herberts Vasiljevs.
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 2
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 9
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 11
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 40
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)