Game off: Snow storm postpones Sabres-Hurricanes

Jan 7, 2014, 2:51 PM EST

A snow storm in Buffalo has forced the cancellation of tonight’s Sabres-Hurricanes game at First Niagara Center.

The NHL cited “hazardous weather conditions in the Buffalo area” in its press release and said a make-up date will be announced as soon as one can be confirmed. Both teams have tomorrow off and a home game Thursday. Per the arena’s website, there’s nothing scheduled for tomorrow at First Niagara Center.

In the meantime, here’s what Buffalo looked like today:

source:

source:

1. charlieconway96 - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:07 PM

Man up and break out the dog sleds. THE SHOW MUST GO ON!!!

• nothanksimdriving123 - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Really, what a bunch of wusses!! Temp around 5F, 6-9 inches of snow expected, winds 30-45 mph, they should be playing this one outdoors.

• charlieconway96 - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:26 PM

Exactly, I say they just break out a hose and flood a city street. Should only take a few seconds to freeze. “The Street Hockey Showdown”. Your move Bettman.

• westinpat - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:46 PM

If the Harbor has frozen, they could play on Lake Erie.

2. meldboy - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:13 PM

As a Sabres season ticket holder I would have been pissed had they not canceled the game. It would have showed a lack of respect for the fans that could not go due to the driving bans in the area.

• elemeno89 - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:26 PM

As a fan (and a fellow season ticket holder as well) your comment is redundant and unnecessary.

3. stroh5584 - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:55 PM

I work in Raleigh at the Hurricanes arena and I’ve always been told that if both teams are in town, game is on. I’m originally from Erie, and I’m sure Buffalo has played in snowstorms before.

• beermeone - Jan 7, 2014 at 6:36 PM

This a pretty good storm called blizzard. Lots of driving bans in most areas and I think the arena would have been very difficult to have staff show up. Ticket takers, security, concession’s etc.

4. lordfletcher - Jan 7, 2014 at 7:18 PM

so no Skinner tonight on my fantasy team… !!!!!! %$#^!!!!!!!

More than a Stanley Cup hangover?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches