Couture: ‘I felt I should have been on that team’

Jan 7, 2014, 2:58 PM EDT

logancouturerookieofmonth

Several Canadian players had it rough on “cut day” Tuesday, but perhaps none more than Logan Couture.

Shortly after the Sharks announced he’d be sidelined indefinitely following hand surgery, Couture learned he’d been passed over for the Olympic team — and not because of his injury situation.

Here’s more, from the Mercury News:

Tuesday morning he got the call informing him that he was not being named to Team Canada — and that the decision was not related to his injury.

“It’s pretty, pretty disappointing to not make that team,” said Couture, who was considered a lock at one point by analysts familiar with the Team Canada process. “I thought I did everything I could to put myself up there. I mean, it’s Team Canada. It’s an impossible team to pick.”

Couture went on to add he felt he “should have been on that team.”

His desire to represent Canada internationally has been burning for quite some time, as he was passed over for the World Juniors during his eligible seasons while playing for the Ottawa 67s. Last year, it seemed Couture had played his way onto any team Canada was assembling for international competition, as head coach Todd McLellan praised Couture for his “elite” level of play down the stretch and into the playoffs.

“The way he’s been playing lately, he’s been driving our bus right now,” McLellan told the San Jose Mercury News. “He’s the head guy and he’s making it happen and we’re happy for him.

“He’s elevated himself into an elite role — he’s penetrated into that leadership group and solidified his place there.”

Couture led the Sharks in goals last year, with 21, and has managed to put up good  numbers this season (34 points in 43 games) despite being hampered by the aforementioned hand injury.

“I wasn’t practicing, had to numb it for games,” he said, without going into the specific problem. “It just got to the point where I couldn’t do that for the entire season.”

1. btlpper68 - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:30 PM

What’a joke sticking carter over couture who snipes, blocks shots, plays 1 pk unit, UNBELIAVBLE defensive player and them we take carter who just shoots and can’t even spell defense. Couture is a complete player that has no weaknesses, I thougt don chery just finished his rant on how Canada needs to take te best players, tell u what Canada slipped up big time. If he played in Toronto he woulda been a lock

• tdrusher225 - Jan 7, 2014 at 7:51 PM

They play on different wings so they weren’t vying for the same spot. Carter technically made the team over St. Louis and Giroux. But Patrick Marleau making the team over Couture is very interesting and might be the source of a little tension in the San Jose locker room.

• btlpper68 - Jan 7, 2014 at 9:52 PM

Actualy it was coture duchene Kunitz competing for 2 lw spots

• tdrusher225 - Jan 8, 2014 at 7:44 PM

I understand Kunitz earning a spot because of his grit and tenacity, and the fact that he would play a much different role on the team opposed to Duchene and Couture. So it’s a question of who would you rather have between those two? And if that’s the case, I’d take Duchene.

2. sjsharks66 - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:41 PM

I thought he played his best game of the season against Chicago the other night. Now he is out for 3-4 weeks and snubbed on the Canada roster. With Hertl, Torres, Burish and Couture out for a lengthy while. Thornton and Couture snubbed by the Olympics. Seems the Sharks can’t catch a break.

The only silver lining in this is that Couture has plenty of time to heal his hand during the Olympic break. Hopefully Torres can make more progress during that time as well. Plus Thornton has time to use the snub to push this team to the cup finals.

• btlpper68 - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:12 PM

As a sharks fan I agree w u, maybe joe and Boyle could get extra rest

• atwatercrushesokoye - Jan 7, 2014 at 8:34 PM

I disagree, I think they caught a massive break by having Couture and especially Thornton be able to take a 2 week vacation to relax and heal while other top teams have their superstars travelling halfway around the world, twice, facing jet lag both ways and looking at 4-7 intense games in a very short window.

Teams like Chicago, St Louis and Pittsburgh etc are going to have to give their players some days and nights off down the stretch or they’re going to run out of gas before they get very far in the playoffs.

3. lowenni - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:47 PM

He’s becoming a great player, but where does he fit in? There’s just not any space on the roster.

4. comeonnowguys - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:47 PM

This just in: Doc and Pierre’s lovefest for Couture from a few nights ago still going strong.

• btlpper68 - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:13 PM

Hey doc just nods his head to meltdown McGuire says

5. sjsharks66 - Jan 7, 2014 at 3:55 PM

The one night the NHL is not obsessed over the Hawks. Let the “love fest” talks begin!

6. pantherpro - Jan 7, 2014 at 4:38 PM

Logo is stud. Get well anraise the cup with Joe

7. stcrowe - Jan 7, 2014 at 5:48 PM

Couture would have made the cut if I were picking, but I don’t think that this was a blatantly unreasonable omission.

The media are really overusing the word “snub” today, just as they did with Team USA last week. To me, a snub would be like leaving Isiah Thomas off the original US Olympic basketball Dream Team because other team members hated him. When someone who is a statistical “lock” is left off the team, that is a “snub.”

In the case of guys like Couture, there just weren’t enough chairs left when the music stopped. A reasonable argument can be made that he should have bumped someone off the team, but a reasonable argument can be made for every other member of the team as well.

• imleftcoast - Jan 7, 2014 at 7:03 PM

Snub is an ignorant term to use when it comes to picking Olympic teams. The guys mentioned are all great players, but they need a mix of players who take different roles. Maybe Giroux is left off for not showing up in the summer, and that might border on a snub. Bobby Ryan certainly didn’t seem like a snub – just a lot of depth for the US at that position. I like PHT, but I don’t think that story line serves the US team, the sport or NBC particularly well.

8. jcornella - Jan 7, 2014 at 9:47 PM

It doesn’t matter as long as Luongo is between the pipes…bronze at best

Top 10 NHL Player Searches