Jan 7, 2014, 9:53 AM EDT
The Washington Capitals have been carrying three healthy goalies for weeks now. That’s an awkward situation under any set of circumstances, but it’s made worse recently by the team’s struggles.
Rookie netminder Philipp Grubauer hasn’t been bad by any stretch of the imagination, but he’s lost four of his last five starts and Braden Holtby‘s confidence was shaken after he allowed five goals on 11 shots on Saturday.
Washington isn’t scheduled to play again until Thursday, which gives Capitals coach Adam Oates plenty of time to mull over who he’ll start next.
“What if I go to (Michal Neuvirth)?” Oates said, according to CSN Washington. “Neuvy deserves a start at some point, right?
That would be interesting if nothing else. Neuvirth has been the team’s third-string goaltender lately and his agent has asked for his client to be traded. It remains to be seen if the Capitals will be able to accommodate that request, but it would likely be easier if he gets some playing time. As it is, Neuvirth hasn’t started since Nov. 22.
The Washington Capitals have just a one-point edge on the Carolina Hurricanes and New York Rangers. If they allow either of those teams to surpass them, the Capitals will have let their current playoff spot slip out of their grasp.
- Report: Zetterberg to return to Detroit lineup tonight vs. B’s 0
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 20
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 19
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 83
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 96
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)