Jan 6, 2014, 11:23 AM EDT
Minnesota is having itself a case of the Mondays.
The Wild have placed captain Mikko Koivu on injured reserve, along with goalie Josh Harding — meaning the club will now be without its leading scorer and Vezina-caliber netminder for the foreseeable future.
Koivu, 30, was hurt during Saturday’s 5-3 win over Washington after blocking a Nicklas Backstrom dump-in during the second period. The gritty Finn left momentarily but did return to assist on a pair of Ryan Suter goals, only to leave once again — this time for good — sitting out the final eight minutes of the game.
Koivu leads the Wild with 35 points this season and is 14th in the NHL in assists, with 27.
The Harding situation, meanwhile, continues to be murky. After being placed on IR in late December to undergo a change in his MS treatment protocol, the Wild goalie returned to play a pair of games — a 5-4 loss to the Isles on Dec. 29 and a 2-1 loss to St. Louis on Dec. 31 — before being sidelined again. The Wild are saying that Harding is “not feeling well” but not offering up much more in the way of diagnosis.
With two roster spots available, Minnesota recalled defenseman Jonathon Blum and forward Erik Haula from the Iowa Wild of the American Hockey League.
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 23
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)