Jan 6, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
If you had to pick a low point to the Rangers’ season, it probably came Dec. 20 at MSG with a 5-3 loss to the Islanders.
“This was definitely a frustrating game,” said goalie Henrik Lundqvist, whose record fell to 2-4-2 since signing his big contract extension. “There’s no question we beat ourselves.”
But ever since that frustration, the Rangers have found some life. On Saturday, they devastated the Leafs in Toronto, winning 7-1 and improving their record to 5-2-0 since the Isles loss.
“I’m not quite sure if you can put one thing specific on it,” coach Alain Vigneault said about his team’s 50-shot barrage versus the embarrassed Leafs, per The Record. “We moved the puck well, we got some good opportunities and we were able to finish on a couple.”
Tonight, the Columbus Blue Jackets pay a visit to MSG, a rink that will be hosting a lot of hockey over the next little while. The Rangers will play eight of their next 10 at home, a prime opportunity to move into a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
PS — one of the Rangers’ two road games in their next 10 will be Wednesday in Chicago, on NBCSN, against the Stanley Cup champs.
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 4
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 30
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)