Jan 6, 2014, 1:20 PM EDT
If you had to pick a low point to the Rangers’ season, it probably came Dec. 20 at MSG with a 5-3 loss to the Islanders.
“This was definitely a frustrating game,” said goalie Henrik Lundqvist, whose record fell to 2-4-2 since signing his big contract extension. “There’s no question we beat ourselves.”
But ever since that frustration, the Rangers have found some life. On Saturday, they devastated the Leafs in Toronto, winning 7-1 and improving their record to 5-2-0 since the Isles loss.
“I’m not quite sure if you can put one thing specific on it,” coach Alain Vigneault said about his team’s 50-shot barrage versus the embarrassed Leafs, per The Record. “We moved the puck well, we got some good opportunities and we were able to finish on a couple.”
Tonight, the Columbus Blue Jackets pay a visit to MSG, a rink that will be hosting a lot of hockey over the next little while. The Rangers will play eight of their next 10 at home, a prime opportunity to move into a playoff spot in the Eastern Conference.
PS — one of the Rangers’ two road games in their next 10 will be Wednesday in Chicago, on NBCSN, against the Stanley Cup champs.
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 0
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 45
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (60)