Jan 6, 2014, 12:06 PM EST
The Vancouver Canucks went to Southern California this weekend, and all they got was one lousy point.
And frankly, they were lucky to get it.
On Saturday, the Canucks were outshot 49-28 in Los Angeles and fell 3-1 to the Kings. The next night, in Anaheim, they were outshot 49-20 and lost 4-3 in overtime to the Ducks.
“We have lost ourselves a little bit,” said coach John Tortorella. “You know, we’re a little bit beat up. I never want to use it as an excuse; we’re a little bit beat up. I think we’re playing against a different level of team, especially the past couple of nights. But we have some work to do.”
Now winless in four, the Canucks played without a number of injured veterans versus the Ducks, including Alex Burrows and Alex Edler — both of whom have been out a while — and Chris Higgins, who reportedly missed the game with the flu. Then, to make matters worse, Zack Kassian took a skate to the face early in the second period and never returned.
But things aren’t about to get any easier. On Tuesday, Pittsburgh’s in town. Friday, it’s St. Louis. And then it’s off to SoCal once again to play the Kings and Ducks, followed by a trip to Phoenix.
Which is to say, if the Canucks don’t find themselves soon, they could be right back on the outside looking in when it comes to playoff positioning in the Western Conference.
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 33
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 49
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)