Jan 6, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks went to Southern California this weekend, and all they got was one lousy point.
And frankly, they were lucky to get it.
On Saturday, the Canucks were outshot 49-28 in Los Angeles and fell 3-1 to the Kings. The next night, in Anaheim, they were outshot 49-20 and lost 4-3 in overtime to the Ducks.
“We have lost ourselves a little bit,” said coach John Tortorella. “You know, we’re a little bit beat up. I never want to use it as an excuse; we’re a little bit beat up. I think we’re playing against a different level of team, especially the past couple of nights. But we have some work to do.”
Now winless in four, the Canucks played without a number of injured veterans versus the Ducks, including Alex Burrows and Alex Edler — both of whom have been out a while — and Chris Higgins, who reportedly missed the game with the flu. Then, to make matters worse, Zack Kassian took a skate to the face early in the second period and never returned.
But things aren’t about to get any easier. On Tuesday, Pittsburgh’s in town. Friday, it’s St. Louis. And then it’s off to SoCal once again to play the Kings and Ducks, followed by a trip to Phoenix.
Which is to say, if the Canucks don’t find themselves soon, they could be right back on the outside looking in when it comes to playoff positioning in the Western Conference.
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 70
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 33
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)