Jan 6, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
The Vancouver Canucks went to Southern California this weekend, and all they got was one lousy point.
And frankly, they were lucky to get it.
On Saturday, the Canucks were outshot 49-28 in Los Angeles and fell 3-1 to the Kings. The next night, in Anaheim, they were outshot 49-20 and lost 4-3 in overtime to the Ducks.
“We have lost ourselves a little bit,” said coach John Tortorella. “You know, we’re a little bit beat up. I never want to use it as an excuse; we’re a little bit beat up. I think we’re playing against a different level of team, especially the past couple of nights. But we have some work to do.”
Now winless in four, the Canucks played without a number of injured veterans versus the Ducks, including Alex Burrows and Alex Edler — both of whom have been out a while — and Chris Higgins, who reportedly missed the game with the flu. Then, to make matters worse, Zack Kassian took a skate to the face early in the second period and never returned.
But things aren’t about to get any easier. On Tuesday, Pittsburgh’s in town. Friday, it’s St. Louis. And then it’s off to SoCal once again to play the Kings and Ducks, followed by a trip to Phoenix.
Which is to say, if the Canucks don’t find themselves soon, they could be right back on the outside looking in when it comes to playoff positioning in the Western Conference.
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 1
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 47
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 6
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 39
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 39
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 15
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 98
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 18
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)