Jan 6, 2014, 11:00 AM EST
On Monday, Switzerland announced its 25-man roster set to participate at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
Led by a deep contingent of NHLers — Reto Berra, Jonas Hiller, Mark Streit, Roman Josi, Raphael Diaz, Yannick Weber, Damien Brunner and Nino Niederreiter — the Swiss team will be a tough out in a group (Group C) that features Sweden, Latvia and the Czech Republic.
What’s interesting to note, though, is that Switzerland left a pair of NHLers off the 25-man roster. Anaheim defenseman Luca Sbisa, who has spent the majority of this year dealing with injuries, and Calgary youngster Sven Baertschi were named to the “sidelist” — essentially Switzerland’s taxi squad — despite representing their country internationally on a number of different platforms.
Sbisa is currently dealing with a torn tendon in his hand that will keep him out of the Ducks lineup until late January. Baertschi was demoted to AHL Abbotsford in mid-December, one of the first moves Brian Burke made upon becoming Calgary’s interim GM. Burke had previously ripped Baertschi for having numerous “holes” in his game.
Here is the Swiss roster in full:
Goalies: Reto Berra (Calgary Flames), Jonas Hiller (Anaheim Ducks), Tobias Stephan (Genève-Servette HC)
Defensemen: Severin Blindenbacher (ZSC Lions), Rafael Diaz (Montréal Canadiens), Philippe Furrer (SC Bern), Roman Josi (Nashville Predators), Mathias Seger (Captain, ZSC Lions), Mark Streit (Philadelphia Flyers), Julien Vauclair (HC Lugano), Yannick Weber (Vancouver Canucks)
Forwards: Andres Ambühl (HC Davos), Matthias Bieber (Kloten Flyers), Simon Bodenmann (Kloten Flyers), Damien Brunner (New Jersey Devils), Luca Cunti (ZSC Lions), Ryan Gardner (SC Bern), Denis Hollenstein (Genève-Servette HC), Simon Moser (Milwaukee Admirals), Nino Niederreiter (Minnesota Wild), Martin Plüss (SC Bern), Kevin Romy (Genève-Servette HC), Reto Suri (EV Zug), Morris Trachsler (ZSC Lions), Roman Wick (ZSC Lions)
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 8
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 29
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 23
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 30
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)