Jan 6, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
On Monday, Switzerland announced its 25-man roster set to participate at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
Led by a deep contingent of NHLers — Reto Berra, Jonas Hiller, Mark Streit, Roman Josi, Raphael Diaz, Yannick Weber, Damien Brunner and Nino Niederreiter — the Swiss team will be a tough out in a group (Group C) that features Sweden, Latvia and the Czech Republic.
What’s interesting to note, though, is that Switzerland left a pair of NHLers off the 25-man roster. Anaheim defenseman Luca Sbisa, who has spent the majority of this year dealing with injuries, and Calgary youngster Sven Baertschi were named to the “sidelist” — essentially Switzerland’s taxi squad — despite representing their country internationally on a number of different platforms.
Sbisa is currently dealing with a torn tendon in his hand that will keep him out of the Ducks lineup until late January. Baertschi was demoted to AHL Abbotsford in mid-December, one of the first moves Brian Burke made upon becoming Calgary’s interim GM. Burke had previously ripped Baertschi for having numerous “holes” in his game.
Here is the Swiss roster in full:
Goalies: Reto Berra (Calgary Flames), Jonas Hiller (Anaheim Ducks), Tobias Stephan (Genève-Servette HC)
Defensemen: Severin Blindenbacher (ZSC Lions), Rafael Diaz (Montréal Canadiens), Philippe Furrer (SC Bern), Roman Josi (Nashville Predators), Mathias Seger (Captain, ZSC Lions), Mark Streit (Philadelphia Flyers), Julien Vauclair (HC Lugano), Yannick Weber (Vancouver Canucks)
Forwards: Andres Ambühl (HC Davos), Matthias Bieber (Kloten Flyers), Simon Bodenmann (Kloten Flyers), Damien Brunner (New Jersey Devils), Luca Cunti (ZSC Lions), Ryan Gardner (SC Bern), Denis Hollenstein (Genève-Servette HC), Simon Moser (Milwaukee Admirals), Nino Niederreiter (Minnesota Wild), Martin Plüss (SC Bern), Kevin Romy (Genève-Servette HC), Reto Suri (EV Zug), Morris Trachsler (ZSC Lions), Roman Wick (ZSC Lions)
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 2
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 25
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 16
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)