Jan 6, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
On Monday, Switzerland announced its 25-man roster set to participate at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
Led by a deep contingent of NHLers — Reto Berra, Jonas Hiller, Mark Streit, Roman Josi, Raphael Diaz, Yannick Weber, Damien Brunner and Nino Niederreiter — the Swiss team will be a tough out in a group (Group C) that features Sweden, Latvia and the Czech Republic.
What’s interesting to note, though, is that Switzerland left a pair of NHLers off the 25-man roster. Anaheim defenseman Luca Sbisa, who has spent the majority of this year dealing with injuries, and Calgary youngster Sven Baertschi were named to the “sidelist” — essentially Switzerland’s taxi squad — despite representing their country internationally on a number of different platforms.
Sbisa is currently dealing with a torn tendon in his hand that will keep him out of the Ducks lineup until late January. Baertschi was demoted to AHL Abbotsford in mid-December, one of the first moves Brian Burke made upon becoming Calgary’s interim GM. Burke had previously ripped Baertschi for having numerous “holes” in his game.
Here is the Swiss roster in full:
Goalies: Reto Berra (Calgary Flames), Jonas Hiller (Anaheim Ducks), Tobias Stephan (Genève-Servette HC)
Defensemen: Severin Blindenbacher (ZSC Lions), Rafael Diaz (Montréal Canadiens), Philippe Furrer (SC Bern), Roman Josi (Nashville Predators), Mathias Seger (Captain, ZSC Lions), Mark Streit (Philadelphia Flyers), Julien Vauclair (HC Lugano), Yannick Weber (Vancouver Canucks)
Forwards: Andres Ambühl (HC Davos), Matthias Bieber (Kloten Flyers), Simon Bodenmann (Kloten Flyers), Damien Brunner (New Jersey Devils), Luca Cunti (ZSC Lions), Ryan Gardner (SC Bern), Denis Hollenstein (Genève-Servette HC), Simon Moser (Milwaukee Admirals), Nino Niederreiter (Minnesota Wild), Martin Plüss (SC Bern), Kevin Romy (Genève-Servette HC), Reto Suri (EV Zug), Morris Trachsler (ZSC Lions), Roman Wick (ZSC Lions)
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 28
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 57
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 12
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 26
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (57)