Jan 6, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
On Monday, Switzerland announced its 25-man roster set to participate at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
Led by a deep contingent of NHLers — Reto Berra, Jonas Hiller, Mark Streit, Roman Josi, Raphael Diaz, Yannick Weber, Damien Brunner and Nino Niederreiter — the Swiss team will be a tough out in a group (Group C) that features Sweden, Latvia and the Czech Republic.
What’s interesting to note, though, is that Switzerland left a pair of NHLers off the 25-man roster. Anaheim defenseman Luca Sbisa, who has spent the majority of this year dealing with injuries, and Calgary youngster Sven Baertschi were named to the “sidelist” — essentially Switzerland’s taxi squad — despite representing their country internationally on a number of different platforms.
Sbisa is currently dealing with a torn tendon in his hand that will keep him out of the Ducks lineup until late January. Baertschi was demoted to AHL Abbotsford in mid-December, one of the first moves Brian Burke made upon becoming Calgary’s interim GM. Burke had previously ripped Baertschi for having numerous “holes” in his game.
Here is the Swiss roster in full:
Goalies: Reto Berra (Calgary Flames), Jonas Hiller (Anaheim Ducks), Tobias Stephan (Genève-Servette HC)
Defensemen: Severin Blindenbacher (ZSC Lions), Rafael Diaz (Montréal Canadiens), Philippe Furrer (SC Bern), Roman Josi (Nashville Predators), Mathias Seger (Captain, ZSC Lions), Mark Streit (Philadelphia Flyers), Julien Vauclair (HC Lugano), Yannick Weber (Vancouver Canucks)
Forwards: Andres Ambühl (HC Davos), Matthias Bieber (Kloten Flyers), Simon Bodenmann (Kloten Flyers), Damien Brunner (New Jersey Devils), Luca Cunti (ZSC Lions), Ryan Gardner (SC Bern), Denis Hollenstein (Genève-Servette HC), Simon Moser (Milwaukee Admirals), Nino Niederreiter (Minnesota Wild), Martin Plüss (SC Bern), Kevin Romy (Genève-Servette HC), Reto Suri (EV Zug), Morris Trachsler (ZSC Lions), Roman Wick (ZSC Lions)
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 15
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 46
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 20
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 34
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 5
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 58
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)