Jan 6, 2014, 11:00 AM EDT
On Monday, Switzerland announced its 25-man roster set to participate at the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi.
Led by a deep contingent of NHLers — Reto Berra, Jonas Hiller, Mark Streit, Roman Josi, Raphael Diaz, Yannick Weber, Damien Brunner and Nino Niederreiter — the Swiss team will be a tough out in a group (Group C) that features Sweden, Latvia and the Czech Republic.
What’s interesting to note, though, is that Switzerland left a pair of NHLers off the 25-man roster. Anaheim defenseman Luca Sbisa, who has spent the majority of this year dealing with injuries, and Calgary youngster Sven Baertschi were named to the “sidelist” — essentially Switzerland’s taxi squad — despite representing their country internationally on a number of different platforms.
Sbisa is currently dealing with a torn tendon in his hand that will keep him out of the Ducks lineup until late January. Baertschi was demoted to AHL Abbotsford in mid-December, one of the first moves Brian Burke made upon becoming Calgary’s interim GM. Burke had previously ripped Baertschi for having numerous “holes” in his game.
Here is the Swiss roster in full:
Goalies: Reto Berra (Calgary Flames), Jonas Hiller (Anaheim Ducks), Tobias Stephan (Genève-Servette HC)
Defensemen: Severin Blindenbacher (ZSC Lions), Rafael Diaz (Montréal Canadiens), Philippe Furrer (SC Bern), Roman Josi (Nashville Predators), Mathias Seger (Captain, ZSC Lions), Mark Streit (Philadelphia Flyers), Julien Vauclair (HC Lugano), Yannick Weber (Vancouver Canucks)
Forwards: Andres Ambühl (HC Davos), Matthias Bieber (Kloten Flyers), Simon Bodenmann (Kloten Flyers), Damien Brunner (New Jersey Devils), Luca Cunti (ZSC Lions), Ryan Gardner (SC Bern), Denis Hollenstein (Genève-Servette HC), Simon Moser (Milwaukee Admirals), Nino Niederreiter (Minnesota Wild), Martin Plüss (SC Bern), Kevin Romy (Genève-Servette HC), Reto Suri (EV Zug), Morris Trachsler (ZSC Lions), Roman Wick (ZSC Lions)
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)