Jan 6, 2014, 7:50 PM EST
Less than 24 hours before Hockey Canada’s roster announcement for the 2014 Olympic team, Steve Stamkos made a statement of his own.
Stamkos skated for 30 minutes at the MTS Centre on Monday — in advance of Tampa Bay’s game tomorrow in Winnipeg — and said he was feeling as good as he’s felt since breaking his leg on Nov. 11.
“Probably best I’ve felt,” Stamkos said, as per TSN. “Trying to make sure it feels better each and every time I get on the ice and today was another indication of that, so I am very pleased.”
It’s expected that Stamkos, 23, will be named to Canada’s roster tomorrow — head coach Mike Babcock all but confirmed that in the immediate aftermath of the broken leg. Canada could (and most likely will) carry Stamkos on the roster right up until February, then make a decision on his ability to participate, sort of like what it did in 2010 with Ryan Getzlaf and Jeff Carter. Getzlaf suffered an ankle injury just prior to the games; Carter, tabbed as Getzlaf’s fill-in, was so close to becoming a replacement player he was actually flown to Vancouver on GM Steve Yzerman’s orders.
Stamkos has represented Canada internationally at the junior and World Championship level, but never at the Olympics. He was named to Canada’s “stand-by” list for the ’10 games and is clearly focused on being healthy to play in Sochi.
“That’s my goal,” Stamkos said. “[I’m] going to do everything I can to make sure that happens.”
Stamkos was on ice about 30min today. Still experiences some pain skating and expects to for awhile, but says it wasn’t too bad.
— Sara Orlesky (@saraorlesky) January 6, 2014
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 0
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 19
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)