Jan 6, 2014, 10:21 PM EDT
Couture is expected to have the procedure on Wednesday.
Couture, 24, hadn’t missed any game time as a result, appearing in all 43 of San Jose’s regular season games to this point. He currently has 14 goals and 35 points for the Sharks this season.
As per Kurz, Couture is expected to miss three to four weeks. Citing a source, it was reported that Couture has been dealing with the hand injury for “several weeks” and was seen wearing a brace on his right hand/wrist.
News of this injury comes on the eve of the highly anticipated announcement of Canada’s men’s Olympic hockey team roster, which happens Tuesday.
This, however, could have an impact on the decision about whether Couture is named to the team or left off it.
As per TSN’s Bob McKenzie on Twitter, “injured players with prognosis of reasonably being ready for (Olympics) (Stamkos, for example) can be named tomorrow, replaced at later date.”
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 2
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 15
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 35
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 44
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy 172
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)