Jan 6, 2014, 10:21 PM EDT
Couture is expected to have the procedure on Wednesday.
Couture, 24, hadn’t missed any game time as a result, appearing in all 43 of San Jose’s regular season games to this point. He currently has 14 goals and 35 points for the Sharks this season.
As per Kurz, Couture is expected to miss three to four weeks. Citing a source, it was reported that Couture has been dealing with the hand injury for “several weeks” and was seen wearing a brace on his right hand/wrist.
News of this injury comes on the eve of the highly anticipated announcement of Canada’s men’s Olympic hockey team roster, which happens Tuesday.
This, however, could have an impact on the decision about whether Couture is named to the team or left off it.
As per TSN’s Bob McKenzie on Twitter, “injured players with prognosis of reasonably being ready for (Olympics) (Stamkos, for example) can be named tomorrow, replaced at later date.”
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (90)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)