Jan 6, 2014, 10:21 PM EDT
Couture is expected to have the procedure on Wednesday.
Couture, 24, hadn’t missed any game time as a result, appearing in all 43 of San Jose’s regular season games to this point. He currently has 14 goals and 35 points for the Sharks this season.
As per Kurz, Couture is expected to miss three to four weeks. Citing a source, it was reported that Couture has been dealing with the hand injury for “several weeks” and was seen wearing a brace on his right hand/wrist.
News of this injury comes on the eve of the highly anticipated announcement of Canada’s men’s Olympic hockey team roster, which happens Tuesday.
This, however, could have an impact on the decision about whether Couture is named to the team or left off it.
As per TSN’s Bob McKenzie on Twitter, “injured players with prognosis of reasonably being ready for (Olympics) (Stamkos, for example) can be named tomorrow, replaced at later date.”
- Video: Johnny Hockey puts on a show in Flames win 0
- Video: Red Wings’ fans show support for Gordie Howe 0
- Burrows suspended three games for ‘late hit to the head’ on Emelin 11
- Blues say Center for Disease Control hasn’t been to Scottrade, don’t plan on it coming 7
- Agent: Vanek was not ‘involved’ in money laundering 12
- Even after big changes, Isles still struggling defensively 13
- Back to junior: Sabres return Reinhart to WHL Kootenay 4
- Report: Phone hearing for Burrows, who says hit on Emelin wasn’t late 38
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 12
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 37
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (46)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)