Jan 6, 2014, 10:21 PM EST
Couture is expected to have the procedure on Wednesday.
Couture, 24, hadn’t missed any game time as a result, appearing in all 43 of San Jose’s regular season games to this point. He currently has 14 goals and 35 points for the Sharks this season.
As per Kurz, Couture is expected to miss three to four weeks. Citing a source, it was reported that Couture has been dealing with the hand injury for “several weeks” and was seen wearing a brace on his right hand/wrist.
News of this injury comes on the eve of the highly anticipated announcement of Canada’s men’s Olympic hockey team roster, which happens Tuesday.
This, however, could have an impact on the decision about whether Couture is named to the team or left off it.
As per TSN’s Bob McKenzie on Twitter, “injured players with prognosis of reasonably being ready for (Olympics) (Stamkos, for example) can be named tomorrow, replaced at later date.”
- Byfuglien out 2-4 weeks with upper-body injury; Little hurt, too 9
- Bettman concedes there are ‘some members of the NHL family who would like to see fewer shootouts’ 45
- Season over: Avs lose MacKinnon to broken foot 19
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 19
- Bruins sign Krug and Smith to contract extensions 36
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 15
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 9
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 21
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 32