Jan 6, 2014, 10:21 PM EST
Couture is expected to have the procedure on Wednesday.
Couture, 24, hadn’t missed any game time as a result, appearing in all 43 of San Jose’s regular season games to this point. He currently has 14 goals and 35 points for the Sharks this season.
As per Kurz, Couture is expected to miss three to four weeks. Citing a source, it was reported that Couture has been dealing with the hand injury for “several weeks” and was seen wearing a brace on his right hand/wrist.
News of this injury comes on the eve of the highly anticipated announcement of Canada’s men’s Olympic hockey team roster, which happens Tuesday.
This, however, could have an impact on the decision about whether Couture is named to the team or left off it.
As per TSN’s Bob McKenzie on Twitter, “injured players with prognosis of reasonably being ready for (Olympics) (Stamkos, for example) can be named tomorrow, replaced at later date.”
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 13
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 42
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 26
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 31
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 12
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 20
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Sabres spoil Callahan’s Lightning debut, Stamkos’ return 7
- Dealing with the Devils: NHL reverses Kovalchuk punishment 49
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)