Jan 6, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Sami Salo returned to the Tampa Bay Lightning lineup for Sunday night’s 5-3 loss to the Edmonton Oilers after missing four games with an upper-body injury.
As Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times shares, he’s a guy coach Jon Cooper loves having around.
“A wily vet,” Cooper called the 39-year-old, “and you can’t have enough of those guys on the back end.”
That’s especially true for the Lightning who have a host of young players on the blue line. Andrej Sustr, Keith Aulie, Mark Barberio, Radko Gudas, and Victor Hedman are all under 25 years old. Having a guy like Salo who knows all the tricks of the trade is valuable for such a young team.
Injuries and Salo have been an unfortunate pairing throughout his career, but the Finnish blue liner always finds his way back to the ice. This season he has one goal and six assists in 35 games.
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 15
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 20
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 29
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)