Jan 6, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Sami Salo returned to the Tampa Bay Lightning lineup for Sunday night’s 5-3 loss to the Edmonton Oilers after missing four games with an upper-body injury.
As Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times shares, he’s a guy coach Jon Cooper loves having around.
“A wily vet,” Cooper called the 39-year-old, “and you can’t have enough of those guys on the back end.”
That’s especially true for the Lightning who have a host of young players on the blue line. Andrej Sustr, Keith Aulie, Mark Barberio, Radko Gudas, and Victor Hedman are all under 25 years old. Having a guy like Salo who knows all the tricks of the trade is valuable for such a young team.
Injuries and Salo have been an unfortunate pairing throughout his career, but the Finnish blue liner always finds his way back to the ice. This season he has one goal and six assists in 35 games.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)