Jan 6, 2014, 9:55 AM EST
Sami Salo returned to the Tampa Bay Lightning lineup for Sunday night’s 5-3 loss to the Edmonton Oilers after missing four games with an upper-body injury.
As Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times shares, he’s a guy coach Jon Cooper loves having around.
“A wily vet,” Cooper called the 39-year-old, “and you can’t have enough of those guys on the back end.”
That’s especially true for the Lightning who have a host of young players on the blue line. Andrej Sustr, Keith Aulie, Mark Barberio, Radko Gudas, and Victor Hedman are all under 25 years old. Having a guy like Salo who knows all the tricks of the trade is valuable for such a young team.
Injuries and Salo have been an unfortunate pairing throughout his career, but the Finnish blue liner always finds his way back to the ice. This season he has one goal and six assists in 35 games.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 45
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 122
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)