Jan 6, 2014, 9:55 AM EDT
Sami Salo returned to the Tampa Bay Lightning lineup for Sunday night’s 5-3 loss to the Edmonton Oilers after missing four games with an upper-body injury.
As Damian Cristodero of the Tampa Bay Times shares, he’s a guy coach Jon Cooper loves having around.
“A wily vet,” Cooper called the 39-year-old, “and you can’t have enough of those guys on the back end.”
That’s especially true for the Lightning who have a host of young players on the blue line. Andrej Sustr, Keith Aulie, Mark Barberio, Radko Gudas, and Victor Hedman are all under 25 years old. Having a guy like Salo who knows all the tricks of the trade is valuable for such a young team.
Injuries and Salo have been an unfortunate pairing throughout his career, but the Finnish blue liner always finds his way back to the ice. This season he has one goal and six assists in 35 games.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 10
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 21
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 23
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)