Jan 6, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
It sounds as though the Buffalo Sabres’ GM search has been whittled down to two final candidates.
Ottawa assistant GM Tim Murray — who has reportedly interviewed twice for the job — and Boston assistant GM Jim Benning are believed to be the frontrunners for Darcy Regier’s old job, according to the Ottawa Sun.
Murray, 50, is a veteran hockey man that worked with the Panthers, Ducks and Rangers before joining the Ottawa organization in 2007, working under his uncle — GM Bryan Murray.
During his time with the Sens the younger Murray’s primarily been in charge of the club’s farm team in AHL Binghamton (the B-Sens captured the Calder Cup in 2011) and has worked extensively on a number of Ottawa’s key drafts.
Based on various reports, Murray appears to favored for the job, though Benning still remains in the hunt.
Benning, also 50, is a former NHL defenseman that’s been with Boston for the last eight years, serving as Peter Chiarelli’s assistant since 2006. Benning also has major ties to the Buffalo organization having worked there for 12 seasons, including eight as the director of amateur scouting.
Sabres president Pat LaFontaine was granted permission to speak with Benning back in mid-November about the vacant GM post.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)