Jan 6, 2014, 7:10 PM EDT
It sounds as though the Buffalo Sabres’ GM search has been whittled down to two final candidates.
Ottawa assistant GM Tim Murray — who has reportedly interviewed twice for the job — and Boston assistant GM Jim Benning are believed to be the frontrunners for Darcy Regier’s old job, according to the Ottawa Sun.
Murray, 50, is a veteran hockey man that worked with the Panthers, Ducks and Rangers before joining the Ottawa organization in 2007, working under his uncle — GM Bryan Murray.
During his time with the Sens the younger Murray’s primarily been in charge of the club’s farm team in AHL Binghamton (the B-Sens captured the Calder Cup in 2011) and has worked extensively on a number of Ottawa’s key drafts.
Based on various reports, Murray appears to favored for the job, though Benning still remains in the hunt.
Benning, also 50, is a former NHL defenseman that’s been with Boston for the last eight years, serving as Peter Chiarelli’s assistant since 2006. Benning also has major ties to the Buffalo organization having worked there for 12 seasons, including eight as the director of amateur scouting.
Sabres president Pat LaFontaine was granted permission to speak with Benning back in mid-November about the vacant GM post.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 7
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)