Jan 6, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
With losses in three of four games prior to Monday, the Montreal Canadiens were in need of a win to keep pace with the Boston Bruins in the Atlantic Division.
That’s exactly what they got, and they got it with solid goaltending from Carey Price. He might not have been busy through two periods, facing only 11 shots, but he was called upon to secure the victory for his team in the third.
The Canadiens eventually defeated the Florida Panthers by a final score of 2-1. Price was called upon to make 16 saves in the third period, with his team up by a goal and the Panthers pressing for the equalizer.
“He’s like a closer in baseball,” said Habs’ head coach Michel Therrien, as per Conor McKenna, host of the Canadiens radio broadcast on TSN 690.
Price, who hails from British Columbia, Canada, has been picked by numerous hockey pundits to be one of the three goalies named to Canada’s men’s Olympic hockey team – the roster gets announced Tuesday morning.
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 31
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 40
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 18
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (44)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)