Jan 6, 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
The Islanders’ nightmarish goaltending season continues.
Halfway through the opening period of Monday’s game against Dallas, Evgeni Nabokov was hurt making a save and left the contest, forcing backup Kevin Poulin into action — and Poulin allowed a goal on his first shot faced, a snapper by Stars forward Erik Cole.
Dallas led 2-0 at the end of the first period.
Should Nabokov be lost for any length of time, it’ll be a major blow for the Isles. The veteran Russian netminder has struggled with health and consistency this season but was in the midst of his best stretch of the year — over his last five starts, Nabokov had a 23-save shutout over Detroit, stopped 23 shots in a 2-1 loss to the Devils, made 35 saves in a 5-3 win over Boston, stopped 37 of 39 shots in a 3-2 OT win over Chicago, then stopped 27 of 30 in a 3-2 loss to the ‘Canes.
It’s unclear what Nabokov hurt against the Stars, though early speculation suggests it’s a groin injury. If so, it wouldn’t come as a major surprise — Nabokov was placed on IR with a groin issue earlier this season, missing 11 games.
UPDATE: Here’s video of the incident…
UPDATE: According to NHL.com reporter Dan Rosen, Islanders head coach Jack Capuano wasn’t sure Nabokov would be traveling with the team to Toronto tonight.
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 8
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 9
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 18
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 48
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 40
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Hall caught off guard by Oilers’ front office shuffle 19
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 34
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)