Jan 6, 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
The Islanders’ nightmarish goaltending season continues.
Halfway through the opening period of Monday’s game against Dallas, Evgeni Nabokov was hurt making a save and left the contest, forcing backup Kevin Poulin into action — and Poulin allowed a goal on his first shot faced, a snapper by Stars forward Erik Cole.
Dallas led 2-0 at the end of the first period.
Should Nabokov be lost for any length of time, it’ll be a major blow for the Isles. The veteran Russian netminder has struggled with health and consistency this season but was in the midst of his best stretch of the year — over his last five starts, Nabokov had a 23-save shutout over Detroit, stopped 23 shots in a 2-1 loss to the Devils, made 35 saves in a 5-3 win over Boston, stopped 37 of 39 shots in a 3-2 OT win over Chicago, then stopped 27 of 30 in a 3-2 loss to the ‘Canes.
It’s unclear what Nabokov hurt against the Stars, though early speculation suggests it’s a groin injury. If so, it wouldn’t come as a major surprise — Nabokov was placed on IR with a groin issue earlier this season, missing 11 games.
UPDATE: Here’s video of the incident…
UPDATE: According to NHL.com reporter Dan Rosen, Islanders head coach Jack Capuano wasn’t sure Nabokov would be traveling with the team to Toronto tonight.
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 51
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 51
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 54
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Red Wings unveil plans for new arena, look to open in 2017 57
- Columbus trying to figure out ‘the right thing to do’ with Johansen 39
- Panthers re-sign Kulikov: three years, $13 million 6
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him 77
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M 58
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)