Jan 6, 2014, 7:46 PM EDT
The Islanders’ nightmarish goaltending season continues.
Halfway through the opening period of Monday’s game against Dallas, Evgeni Nabokov was hurt making a save and left the contest, forcing backup Kevin Poulin into action — and Poulin allowed a goal on his first shot faced, a snapper by Stars forward Erik Cole.
Dallas led 2-0 at the end of the first period.
Should Nabokov be lost for any length of time, it’ll be a major blow for the Isles. The veteran Russian netminder has struggled with health and consistency this season but was in the midst of his best stretch of the year — over his last five starts, Nabokov had a 23-save shutout over Detroit, stopped 23 shots in a 2-1 loss to the Devils, made 35 saves in a 5-3 win over Boston, stopped 37 of 39 shots in a 3-2 OT win over Chicago, then stopped 27 of 30 in a 3-2 loss to the ‘Canes.
It’s unclear what Nabokov hurt against the Stars, though early speculation suggests it’s a groin injury. If so, it wouldn’t come as a major surprise — Nabokov was placed on IR with a groin issue earlier this season, missing 11 games.
UPDATE: Here’s video of the incident…
UPDATE: According to NHL.com reporter Dan Rosen, Islanders head coach Jack Capuano wasn’t sure Nabokov would be traveling with the team to Toronto tonight.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)