Jan 6, 2014, 7:46 PM EST
The Islanders’ nightmarish goaltending season continues.
Halfway through the opening period of Monday’s game against Dallas, Evgeni Nabokov was hurt making a save and left the contest, forcing backup Kevin Poulin into action — and Poulin allowed a goal on his first shot faced, a snapper by Stars forward Erik Cole.
Dallas led 2-0 at the end of the first period.
Should Nabokov be lost for any length of time, it’ll be a major blow for the Isles. The veteran Russian netminder has struggled with health and consistency this season but was in the midst of his best stretch of the year — over his last five starts, Nabokov had a 23-save shutout over Detroit, stopped 23 shots in a 2-1 loss to the Devils, made 35 saves in a 5-3 win over Boston, stopped 37 of 39 shots in a 3-2 OT win over Chicago, then stopped 27 of 30 in a 3-2 loss to the ‘Canes.
It’s unclear what Nabokov hurt against the Stars, though early speculation suggests it’s a groin injury. If so, it wouldn’t come as a major surprise — Nabokov was placed on IR with a groin issue earlier this season, missing 11 games.
UPDATE: Here’s video of the incident…
UPDATE: According to NHL.com reporter Dan Rosen, Islanders head coach Jack Capuano wasn’t sure Nabokov would be traveling with the team to Toronto tonight.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 3
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 11
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 11
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 18
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)