Jan 6, 2014, 3:34 PM EDT
From the Minnesota Wild:
Mikko Koivu underwent successful surgery this morning to repair an ankle fracture suffered Saturday night vs. Washington. Koivu is expected to make a full recovery and return to play in approximately four weeks.
The captain was placed on Injured Reserve this morning. He currently leads the team in points with 35 (8-27=35) through 44 games this season.
Koivu, 30, was hurt during Saturday’s 5-3 win over Washington after blocking a Nicklas Backstrom dump-in during the second period. The gritty Finn left momentarily but did return to assist on a pair of Ryan Suter goals, only to leave once again — this time for good — sitting out the final eight minutes of the game.
Obviously a big loss for the Wild (and potentially Finland), who’ve managed to win two straight after dropping six in a row. Minnesota is in Los Angeles to play the Kings tomorrow and Phoenix to take on the Coyotes Thursday. Neither of those road games will be easy. Remember that goalie Josh Harding is also on injured reserve now, along with Zach Parise.
Related: Koivu sticks up for coach Yeo
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 3
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 28
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 10
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 25
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 23
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 17
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 25
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 45
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 39
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)