Jan 6, 2014, 3:34 PM EST
From the Minnesota Wild:
Mikko Koivu underwent successful surgery this morning to repair an ankle fracture suffered Saturday night vs. Washington. Koivu is expected to make a full recovery and return to play in approximately four weeks.
The captain was placed on Injured Reserve this morning. He currently leads the team in points with 35 (8-27=35) through 44 games this season.
Koivu, 30, was hurt during Saturday’s 5-3 win over Washington after blocking a Nicklas Backstrom dump-in during the second period. The gritty Finn left momentarily but did return to assist on a pair of Ryan Suter goals, only to leave once again — this time for good — sitting out the final eight minutes of the game.
Obviously a big loss for the Wild (and potentially Finland), who’ve managed to win two straight after dropping six in a row. Minnesota is in Los Angeles to play the Kings tomorrow and Phoenix to take on the Coyotes Thursday. Neither of those road games will be easy. Remember that goalie Josh Harding is also on injured reserve now, along with Zach Parise.
Related: Koivu sticks up for coach Yeo
- NHL responds to concussion lawsuit, says players should have ‘put two and two together’ 4
- (Video) PHT Extra: Carlyle’s on the hot seat, Hartley’s riding high 0
- Hextall launched profanity-laced tirade against Flyers last night 24
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him 52
- NHL watching 3-on-3 OT in the AHL closely 11
- Sens’ Murray hopes to bring cancer awareness 5
- Pens’ Dupuis has blood clot in lung, out six months 25
- It’s not all Carlyle’s fault, but the Leafs’ coach is failing at his job 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers host Flyers on Rivalry Night 4
- Predators humiliate Leafs with 9-2 victory 34
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (53)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)
- Video: Malkin runs over Girardi (Updated) (41)
- Bettman calls Panthers relocation speculation ‘unfounded’ (36)