Jan 6, 2014, 3:34 PM EDT
From the Minnesota Wild:
Mikko Koivu underwent successful surgery this morning to repair an ankle fracture suffered Saturday night vs. Washington. Koivu is expected to make a full recovery and return to play in approximately four weeks.
The captain was placed on Injured Reserve this morning. He currently leads the team in points with 35 (8-27=35) through 44 games this season.
Koivu, 30, was hurt during Saturday’s 5-3 win over Washington after blocking a Nicklas Backstrom dump-in during the second period. The gritty Finn left momentarily but did return to assist on a pair of Ryan Suter goals, only to leave once again — this time for good — sitting out the final eight minutes of the game.
Obviously a big loss for the Wild (and potentially Finland), who’ve managed to win two straight after dropping six in a row. Minnesota is in Los Angeles to play the Kings tomorrow and Phoenix to take on the Coyotes Thursday. Neither of those road games will be easy. Remember that goalie Josh Harding is also on injured reserve now, along with Zach Parise.
Related: Koivu sticks up for coach Yeo
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)