Jan 6, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
Slovenia released its roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi on Monday and, to nobody’s surprise, L.A. Kings forward Anze Kopitar — the lone Slovenian playing in the NHL — headlines the list of 25 players.
What did come as a surprise, though, was that Kopitar’s brother — Gasper — has been left off the team, an interesting decision given the team is being coached by their father, Matjaz Kopitar.
Gasper, 21, had been playing with Mora IK in Sweden but recently transferred to the ECHL’s Ontario Reign — the Kings’ East Coast League affiliate — and scored the game-winning goal in his Reign debut. Gasper also played for Slovenia in February’s Olympic qualifying tournament, helping Slovenia make the Olympics for the first time in history.
Of course, Anze did say that Gasper was on the bubble to make the team.
Here’s the Slovenian roster in full:
Goaltenders: Luka Gracnar, Andrej Hocevar, Robert Kristan.
Defencemen: Blaz Gregorc, Sabahudin Kovacevic, Ales Kranjc, Ziga Pavlin, Klemen Pretnar, Mitja Robar, Matic Podlipnik, Andrej Tavzelj.
Forwards: Bostjan Golicic, Ziga Jeglic, Anze Kopitar, Anze Kuralt, Jan Mursak, Ales Music, Ziga Pance, Tomaz Razingar, David Rodman, Marcel Rodman, Robert Sabolic, Rok Ticar, Jan Urbas, Miha Verlic.
(Worth noting that Mursak has some NHL experience, having played in 46 games with Detroit from 2010-13. He now plays in the KHL.)
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Eastern Conference Final Game 6 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 25
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)