Jan 6, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
Slovenia released its roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi on Monday and, to nobody’s surprise, L.A. Kings forward Anze Kopitar — the lone Slovenian playing in the NHL — headlines the list of 25 players.
What did come as a surprise, though, was that Kopitar’s brother — Gasper — has been left off the team, an interesting decision given the team is being coached by their father, Matjaz Kopitar.
Gasper, 21, had been playing with Mora IK in Sweden but recently transferred to the ECHL’s Ontario Reign — the Kings’ East Coast League affiliate — and scored the game-winning goal in his Reign debut. Gasper also played for Slovenia in February’s Olympic qualifying tournament, helping Slovenia make the Olympics for the first time in history.
Of course, Anze did say that Gasper was on the bubble to make the team.
Here’s the Slovenian roster in full:
Goaltenders: Luka Gracnar, Andrej Hocevar, Robert Kristan.
Defencemen: Blaz Gregorc, Sabahudin Kovacevic, Ales Kranjc, Ziga Pavlin, Klemen Pretnar, Mitja Robar, Matic Podlipnik, Andrej Tavzelj.
Forwards: Bostjan Golicic, Ziga Jeglic, Anze Kopitar, Anze Kuralt, Jan Mursak, Ales Music, Ziga Pance, Tomaz Razingar, David Rodman, Marcel Rodman, Robert Sabolic, Rok Ticar, Jan Urbas, Miha Verlic.
(Worth noting that Mursak has some NHL experience, having played in 46 games with Detroit from 2010-13. He now plays in the KHL.)
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 20
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 20
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 31
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)