Jan 6, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
Slovenia released its roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi on Monday and, to nobody’s surprise, L.A. Kings forward Anze Kopitar — the lone Slovenian playing in the NHL — headlines the list of 25 players.
What did come as a surprise, though, was that Kopitar’s brother — Gasper — has been left off the team, an interesting decision given the team is being coached by their father, Matjaz Kopitar.
Gasper, 21, had been playing with Mora IK in Sweden but recently transferred to the ECHL’s Ontario Reign — the Kings’ East Coast League affiliate — and scored the game-winning goal in his Reign debut. Gasper also played for Slovenia in February’s Olympic qualifying tournament, helping Slovenia make the Olympics for the first time in history.
Of course, Anze did say that Gasper was on the bubble to make the team.
Here’s the Slovenian roster in full:
Goaltenders: Luka Gracnar, Andrej Hocevar, Robert Kristan.
Defencemen: Blaz Gregorc, Sabahudin Kovacevic, Ales Kranjc, Ziga Pavlin, Klemen Pretnar, Mitja Robar, Matic Podlipnik, Andrej Tavzelj.
Forwards: Bostjan Golicic, Ziga Jeglic, Anze Kopitar, Anze Kuralt, Jan Mursak, Ales Music, Ziga Pance, Tomaz Razingar, David Rodman, Marcel Rodman, Robert Sabolic, Rok Ticar, Jan Urbas, Miha Verlic.
(Worth noting that Mursak has some NHL experience, having played in 46 games with Detroit from 2010-13. He now plays in the KHL.)
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 11
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 15
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 13
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 91
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5