Jan 6, 2014, 10:42 AM EST
Slovenia released its roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi on Monday and, to nobody’s surprise, L.A. Kings forward Anze Kopitar — the lone Slovenian playing in the NHL — headlines the list of 25 players.
What did come as a surprise, though, was that Kopitar’s brother — Gasper — has been left off the team, an interesting decision given the team is being coached by their father, Matjaz Kopitar.
Gasper, 21, had been playing with Mora IK in Sweden but recently transferred to the ECHL’s Ontario Reign — the Kings’ East Coast League affiliate — and scored the game-winning goal in his Reign debut. Gasper also played for Slovenia in February’s Olympic qualifying tournament, helping Slovenia make the Olympics for the first time in history.
Of course, Anze did say that Gasper was on the bubble to make the team.
Here’s the Slovenian roster in full:
Goaltenders: Luka Gracnar, Andrej Hocevar, Robert Kristan.
Defencemen: Blaz Gregorc, Sabahudin Kovacevic, Ales Kranjc, Ziga Pavlin, Klemen Pretnar, Mitja Robar, Matic Podlipnik, Andrej Tavzelj.
Forwards: Bostjan Golicic, Ziga Jeglic, Anze Kopitar, Anze Kuralt, Jan Mursak, Ales Music, Ziga Pance, Tomaz Razingar, David Rodman, Marcel Rodman, Robert Sabolic, Rok Ticar, Jan Urbas, Miha Verlic.
(Worth noting that Mursak has some NHL experience, having played in 46 games with Detroit from 2010-13. He now plays in the KHL.)
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 62
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 41
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (124)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)