Jan 6, 2014, 10:42 AM EDT
Slovenia released its roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics in Sochi on Monday and, to nobody’s surprise, L.A. Kings forward Anze Kopitar — the lone Slovenian playing in the NHL — headlines the list of 25 players.
What did come as a surprise, though, was that Kopitar’s brother — Gasper — has been left off the team, an interesting decision given the team is being coached by their father, Matjaz Kopitar.
Gasper, 21, had been playing with Mora IK in Sweden but recently transferred to the ECHL’s Ontario Reign — the Kings’ East Coast League affiliate — and scored the game-winning goal in his Reign debut. Gasper also played for Slovenia in February’s Olympic qualifying tournament, helping Slovenia make the Olympics for the first time in history.
Of course, Anze did say that Gasper was on the bubble to make the team.
Here’s the Slovenian roster in full:
Goaltenders: Luka Gracnar, Andrej Hocevar, Robert Kristan.
Defencemen: Blaz Gregorc, Sabahudin Kovacevic, Ales Kranjc, Ziga Pavlin, Klemen Pretnar, Mitja Robar, Matic Podlipnik, Andrej Tavzelj.
Forwards: Bostjan Golicic, Ziga Jeglic, Anze Kopitar, Anze Kuralt, Jan Mursak, Ales Music, Ziga Pance, Tomaz Razingar, David Rodman, Marcel Rodman, Robert Sabolic, Rok Ticar, Jan Urbas, Miha Verlic.
(Worth noting that Mursak has some NHL experience, having played in 46 games with Detroit from 2010-13. He now plays in the KHL.)
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 1
- Sedin backs Tortorella and staff: ‘We love playing for these coaches’ 19
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider 91
- Callahan: I wanted to stay in New York 35
- Playoff bubble watch — Wild edition 18
- Video: Ryan Kesler injured on knee-on-knee collision, on his way back to Vancouver 12
- Discuss: Bruins run over Habs in newest chapter of historic rivalry 26
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 13
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 9
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 22
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (92)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (72)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)