Jan 6, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
Ben Bishop is one injury away from being an Olympian.
That’s what Bishop has been told, anyway, according to TVA’s Renaud Lavoie:
#lightning Ben Bishop received confirmation that he’ll be at the Olympics if one of the 3 Team USA goalie is injured.
— Renaud Lavoie (@LavoieRenaud) January 6, 2014
Bishop, currently sidelined with an injury of his own (that’s not believed to be serious) was narrowly edged out by Jimmy Howard for the third and final Olympic spot on Jan. 1, when USA Hockey made its official roster announcement. Bishop said he was contacted by Panthers GM Dale Tallon, one of the members of the American selection committee, to explain that Howard was chosen based on superior experience, most notably in the playoffs.
This most recent call, though, was a happier one.
USA Hockey confirmed that Bishop would be going to Sochi should injury hit one of Jonathan Quick, Ryan Miller or Howard — and it’ll be interesting to see if the trio can stay healthy. Howard and Quick have already missed time this season with ailments and Quick, who made his return to the net in Saturday’s 3-1 win over Vancouver, was feeling rough on Monday and had to “gut through” practice.
Bishop leads all American netminders this season in wins (22), GAA (1.86) and save percentage (.935).
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 14
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 10
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 11
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 96
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (96)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)