Jan 6, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
Ben Bishop is one injury away from being an Olympian.
That’s what Bishop has been told, anyway, according to TVA’s Renaud Lavoie:
#lightning Ben Bishop received confirmation that he’ll be at the Olympics if one of the 3 Team USA goalie is injured.
— Renaud Lavoie (@LavoieRenaud) January 6, 2014
Bishop, currently sidelined with an injury of his own (that’s not believed to be serious) was narrowly edged out by Jimmy Howard for the third and final Olympic spot on Jan. 1, when USA Hockey made its official roster announcement. Bishop said he was contacted by Panthers GM Dale Tallon, one of the members of the American selection committee, to explain that Howard was chosen based on superior experience, most notably in the playoffs.
This most recent call, though, was a happier one.
USA Hockey confirmed that Bishop would be going to Sochi should injury hit one of Jonathan Quick, Ryan Miller or Howard — and it’ll be interesting to see if the trio can stay healthy. Howard and Quick have already missed time this season with ailments and Quick, who made his return to the net in Saturday’s 3-1 win over Vancouver, was feeling rough on Monday and had to “gut through” practice.
Bishop leads all American netminders this season in wins (22), GAA (1.86) and save percentage (.935).
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)