Jan 6, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
Ben Bishop is one injury away from being an Olympian.
That’s what Bishop has been told, anyway, according to TVA’s Renaud Lavoie:
#lightning Ben Bishop received confirmation that he’ll be at the Olympics if one of the 3 Team USA goalie is injured.
— Renaud Lavoie (@LavoieRenaud) January 6, 2014
Bishop, currently sidelined with an injury of his own (that’s not believed to be serious) was narrowly edged out by Jimmy Howard for the third and final Olympic spot on Jan. 1, when USA Hockey made its official roster announcement. Bishop said he was contacted by Panthers GM Dale Tallon, one of the members of the American selection committee, to explain that Howard was chosen based on superior experience, most notably in the playoffs.
This most recent call, though, was a happier one.
USA Hockey confirmed that Bishop would be going to Sochi should injury hit one of Jonathan Quick, Ryan Miller or Howard — and it’ll be interesting to see if the trio can stay healthy. Howard and Quick have already missed time this season with ailments and Quick, who made his return to the net in Saturday’s 3-1 win over Vancouver, was feeling rough on Monday and had to “gut through” practice.
Bishop leads all American netminders this season in wins (22), GAA (1.86) and save percentage (.935).
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 7
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)