Jan 6, 2014, 9:10 PM EDT
Ben Bishop is one injury away from being an Olympian.
That’s what Bishop has been told, anyway, according to TVA’s Renaud Lavoie:
#lightning Ben Bishop received confirmation that he’ll be at the Olympics if one of the 3 Team USA goalie is injured.
— Renaud Lavoie (@LavoieRenaud) January 6, 2014
Bishop, currently sidelined with an injury of his own (that’s not believed to be serious) was narrowly edged out by Jimmy Howard for the third and final Olympic spot on Jan. 1, when USA Hockey made its official roster announcement. Bishop said he was contacted by Panthers GM Dale Tallon, one of the members of the American selection committee, to explain that Howard was chosen based on superior experience, most notably in the playoffs.
This most recent call, though, was a happier one.
USA Hockey confirmed that Bishop would be going to Sochi should injury hit one of Jonathan Quick, Ryan Miller or Howard — and it’ll be interesting to see if the trio can stay healthy. Howard and Quick have already missed time this season with ailments and Quick, who made his return to the net in Saturday’s 3-1 win over Vancouver, was feeling rough on Monday and had to “gut through” practice.
Bishop leads all American netminders this season in wins (22), GAA (1.86) and save percentage (.935).
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 0
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 0
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)