Jan 6, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
Staal, believed to be hurt last Thursday against the Capitals, left Saturday’s game against the Islanders with the injury (after just 9:48 TOI) and didn’t play in Sunday’s 2-1 win over Nashville. The ‘Canes have already called up forward Aaron Palushaj from AHL Charlotte as a replacement, and today confirmed Staal won’t travel with the club to Buffalo.
Staal, 29, currently leads the ‘Canes with 35 points in 42 games. An original diagnosis from Muller suggested the captain could miss a week of action with the ailment, so it’s not believed to be serious — that said, Hockey Canada is set to announce its roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics on Tuesday and Staal, a member of the gold medal-winning side in ’10, is projected to be in the mix for a spot.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5