Jan 6, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
Staal, believed to be hurt last Thursday against the Capitals, left Saturday’s game against the Islanders with the injury (after just 9:48 TOI) and didn’t play in Sunday’s 2-1 win over Nashville. The ‘Canes have already called up forward Aaron Palushaj from AHL Charlotte as a replacement, and today confirmed Staal won’t travel with the club to Buffalo.
Staal, 29, currently leads the ‘Canes with 35 points in 42 games. An original diagnosis from Muller suggested the captain could miss a week of action with the ailment, so it’s not believed to be serious — that said, Hockey Canada is set to announce its roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics on Tuesday and Staal, a member of the gold medal-winning side in ’10, is projected to be in the mix for a spot.
- Treliving would be ‘shocked’ if Bennett sticks with Flames in 14-15 3
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 8
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 15
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 41
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22