Jan 6, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
Staal, believed to be hurt last Thursday against the Capitals, left Saturday’s game against the Islanders with the injury (after just 9:48 TOI) and didn’t play in Sunday’s 2-1 win over Nashville. The ‘Canes have already called up forward Aaron Palushaj from AHL Charlotte as a replacement, and today confirmed Staal won’t travel with the club to Buffalo.
Staal, 29, currently leads the ‘Canes with 35 points in 42 games. An original diagnosis from Muller suggested the captain could miss a week of action with the ailment, so it’s not believed to be serious — that said, Hockey Canada is set to announce its roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics on Tuesday and Staal, a member of the gold medal-winning side in ’10, is projected to be in the mix for a spot.
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 0
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 12
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6