Jan 6, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
Staal, believed to be hurt last Thursday against the Capitals, left Saturday’s game against the Islanders with the injury (after just 9:48 TOI) and didn’t play in Sunday’s 2-1 win over Nashville. The ‘Canes have already called up forward Aaron Palushaj from AHL Charlotte as a replacement, and today confirmed Staal won’t travel with the club to Buffalo.
Staal, 29, currently leads the ‘Canes with 35 points in 42 games. An original diagnosis from Muller suggested the captain could miss a week of action with the ailment, so it’s not believed to be serious — that said, Hockey Canada is set to announce its roster for the 2014 Winter Olympics on Tuesday and Staal, a member of the gold medal-winning side in ’10, is projected to be in the mix for a spot.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8