Jan 5, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
Canada’s quest to earn a medal at this year’s World Junior Championships fell short as Russia earned a 2-1 win against them to take bronze.
Sabres prospect Mikhail Grigorenko and forward Eduard Gimatov while Lightning prospect goalie Andrei Vasilevski made 30 saves to earn the win. Jets prospect Josh Morrissey had Canada’s lone tally while Canadiens prospect Zach Fucale saved 30 shots.
Canadian captain, and Flyers prospect, Scott Laughton said the loss was a disappointment.
“It’s tough,” said Laughton “You can’t put it into words. When you put on this crest and try to represent your country, and can’t even bring a medal back to Canada for the people who’ve been cheering for you and have 4,000 fans come down here, it’s heartbreaking.”
It’s the second consecutive year Canada has failed to medal in the tournament.
Grigorenko’s goal was his fifth of the tournament and now he’ll return to Buffalo where his future is up in the air. He’s ineligible to be sent to the AHL (too young) and the Sabres have been leery/unable to send him back to his junior team, the Quebec Remparts.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)