Jan 5, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
Canada’s quest to earn a medal at this year’s World Junior Championships fell short as Russia earned a 2-1 win against them to take bronze.
Sabres prospect Mikhail Grigorenko and forward Eduard Gimatov while Lightning prospect goalie Andrei Vasilevski made 30 saves to earn the win. Jets prospect Josh Morrissey had Canada’s lone tally while Canadiens prospect Zach Fucale saved 30 shots.
Canadian captain, and Flyers prospect, Scott Laughton said the loss was a disappointment.
“It’s tough,” said Laughton “You can’t put it into words. When you put on this crest and try to represent your country, and can’t even bring a medal back to Canada for the people who’ve been cheering for you and have 4,000 fans come down here, it’s heartbreaking.”
It’s the second consecutive year Canada has failed to medal in the tournament.
Grigorenko’s goal was his fifth of the tournament and now he’ll return to Buffalo where his future is up in the air. He’s ineligible to be sent to the AHL (too young) and the Sabres have been leery/unable to send him back to his junior team, the Quebec Remparts.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)