Jan 5, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
Canada’s quest to earn a medal at this year’s World Junior Championships fell short as Russia earned a 2-1 win against them to take bronze.
Sabres prospect Mikhail Grigorenko and forward Eduard Gimatov while Lightning prospect goalie Andrei Vasilevski made 30 saves to earn the win. Jets prospect Josh Morrissey had Canada’s lone tally while Canadiens prospect Zach Fucale saved 30 shots.
Canadian captain, and Flyers prospect, Scott Laughton said the loss was a disappointment.
“It’s tough,” said Laughton “You can’t put it into words. When you put on this crest and try to represent your country, and can’t even bring a medal back to Canada for the people who’ve been cheering for you and have 4,000 fans come down here, it’s heartbreaking.”
It’s the second consecutive year Canada has failed to medal in the tournament.
Grigorenko’s goal was his fifth of the tournament and now he’ll return to Buffalo where his future is up in the air. He’s ineligible to be sent to the AHL (too young) and the Sabres have been leery/unable to send him back to his junior team, the Quebec Remparts.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 0
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 8
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)