Jan 5, 2014, 10:16 PM EDT
From the Carolina Hurricanes’ perspective, Jeff Skinner‘s game-winning goal was an example of resilience, as the young forward shook off a puck to the face. On the other hand, the Nashville Predators might see it as a disaster.
“You have to save those. That wasn’t much of a shot at all,” Trotz said. “That’s not good enough for this league. He wasn’t strong at all.”
Here’s the goal in question:
To be fair to Hutton, he only allowed one other tally on Sunday, as the Carolina Hurricanes won 2-1.
Hutton, 28, came into the 2013-14 season with exactly one game of NHL experience (when the Chicago Blackhawks sent out their replacements against the St. Louis Blues). He fell to 7-7-2 on the season with mediocre individual numbers (.902 save percentage and 3.01 GAA).
“He’s like the Mastercard commercial, priceless,” Poile said. “We have two young goalies who have played well. Every night, you go through the situations [and ask yourself], ‘Would Pekka have stopped that?’ We don’t play the same without him.”
Would this be an awkward time to mention that Poile had a chance to sign Anton Khudobin, the undefeated Hurricanes backup who beat his Predators tonight, with Rinne’s offseason hip surgery in mind? Yeah, it might be.
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 26
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 57
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)