Jan 5, 2014, 11:48 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks came into Sunday with a six-game losing streak against the Chicago Blackhawks, but they finally ended that thanks to a 3-2 shootout win in a captivating contest on NBCSN.
Both goalies were tested regularly, as Alex Stalock won it by stopping 33 out of 35 shots while Corey Crawford grabbed a point for the ‘Hawks after making 40 out of 42 saves. Brent Burns notched the game-tying tally, giving him 14 goals in just 30 games played.
The Sharks have been thriving in “the skills competition” lately, with four of their last six wins coming via shootouts. Overall, they’ve won six of their last eight games.
Chicago probably won’t have a ton to complain about big picture-wise, as they’ve notched at least a standings point in every game except a 7-3 loss to Toronto in the past 30 days. They’ve also generated a point in 10 straight contests (6-0-4).
A lot of different things would need to swing one way or another for it to happen, but it’s hard not to daydream about the two teams meeting in the 2014 playoffs after watching games like these. Well, unless you’re a Blackhawks or Sharks fan, that is.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 36
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)