Jan 5, 2014, 11:48 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks came into Sunday with a six-game losing streak against the Chicago Blackhawks, but they finally ended that thanks to a 3-2 shootout win in a captivating contest on NBCSN.
Both goalies were tested regularly, as Alex Stalock won it by stopping 33 out of 35 shots while Corey Crawford grabbed a point for the ‘Hawks after making 40 out of 42 saves. Brent Burns notched the game-tying tally, giving him 14 goals in just 30 games played.
The Sharks have been thriving in “the skills competition” lately, with four of their last six wins coming via shootouts. Overall, they’ve won six of their last eight games.
Chicago probably won’t have a ton to complain about big picture-wise, as they’ve notched at least a standings point in every game except a 7-3 loss to Toronto in the past 30 days. They’ve also generated a point in 10 straight contests (6-0-4).
A lot of different things would need to swing one way or another for it to happen, but it’s hard not to daydream about the two teams meeting in the 2014 playoffs after watching games like these. Well, unless you’re a Blackhawks or Sharks fan, that is.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 2
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 4
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 1
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 10
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 17
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)