Jan 5, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks came into Sunday with a six-game losing streak against the Chicago Blackhawks, but they finally ended that thanks to a 3-2 shootout win in a captivating contest on NBCSN.
Both goalies were tested regularly, as Alex Stalock won it by stopping 33 out of 35 shots while Corey Crawford grabbed a point for the ‘Hawks after making 40 out of 42 saves. Brent Burns notched the game-tying tally, giving him 14 goals in just 30 games played.
The Sharks have been thriving in “the skills competition” lately, with four of their last six wins coming via shootouts. Overall, they’ve won six of their last eight games.
Chicago probably won’t have a ton to complain about big picture-wise, as they’ve notched at least a standings point in every game except a 7-3 loss to Toronto in the past 30 days. They’ve also generated a point in 10 straight contests (6-0-4).
A lot of different things would need to swing one way or another for it to happen, but it’s hard not to daydream about the two teams meeting in the 2014 playoffs after watching games like these. Well, unless you’re a Blackhawks or Sharks fan, that is.
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 5
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 10
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 8
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 5
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 37
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 10
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)