Jan 5, 2014, 11:48 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks came into Sunday with a six-game losing streak against the Chicago Blackhawks, but they finally ended that thanks to a 3-2 shootout win in a captivating contest on NBCSN.
Both goalies were tested regularly, as Alex Stalock won it by stopping 33 out of 35 shots while Corey Crawford grabbed a point for the ‘Hawks after making 40 out of 42 saves. Brent Burns notched the game-tying tally, giving him 14 goals in just 30 games played.
The Sharks have been thriving in “the skills competition” lately, with four of their last six wins coming via shootouts. Overall, they’ve won six of their last eight games.
Chicago probably won’t have a ton to complain about big picture-wise, as they’ve notched at least a standings point in every game except a 7-3 loss to Toronto in the past 30 days. They’ve also generated a point in 10 straight contests (6-0-4).
A lot of different things would need to swing one way or another for it to happen, but it’s hard not to daydream about the two teams meeting in the 2014 playoffs after watching games like these. Well, unless you’re a Blackhawks or Sharks fan, that is.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)