Jan 5, 2014, 5:55 PM EST
Yup, that’s the same Jones who went 8-3-0 with a blazing .950 save percentage and 1.41 GAA (not to mention three shutouts).
It all comes down to Jonathan Quick‘s comeback, which was quite triumphant on Saturday. With the 2012 Conn Smythe-winner and 2014 Olympian back in the fold, the Kings saw a logjam in net. While one could argue that Jones, 23, out-played Ben Scrivens during Quick’s absence, Los Angeles doesn’t need to worry about losing Jones by sending him to the AHL.
(Scrivens certainly hasn’t been a sieve himself, either.)
That being said, it’s probably easier to send Jones to the minors considering his three-game losing streak, though those defeats were far from his fault (and … those represent his only defeats at the NHL level).
Really, it all demonstrates the embarrassment of riches for the franchise in net. With Scrivens, 27, headed toward unrestricted free agency (and thus being potential trade bait), it’s hard to imagine Jones staying in the minors for too long.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 73
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (146)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (73)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)