Jan 5, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes – and maybe Team Canada’s decision makers – held their breath on Saturday, as Eric Staal left an eventual win against the New York Islanders with a lower-body injury. They can exhale on Sunday, as head coach Kirk Muller said that Staal will only be out five-to-six days, the Raleigh News & Observer’s Chip Alexander reports.
One would assume that Muller gave that estimate regarding the team’s 29-year-old captain because the Hurricanes have games on Thursday (Jan. 9) and Friday (Jan. 10).
Again, it might not be the Hurricanes alone who are interested in this update. If Staal is on the bubble for Team Canada, a more significant issue could conceivably push him out of the picture. Instead, it sounds like it will come down to whether or not GM Steve Yzerman & Co. believe that he should make the cut.
Staal’s Hurricanes are facing the Nashville Predators on Sunday.
Update: Carolina seemingly dodged a bullet in that Predators game, as Jeff Skinner returned to action despite taking a puck to the face.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)