Jan 5, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
The Carolina Hurricanes – and maybe Team Canada’s decision makers – held their breath on Saturday, as Eric Staal left an eventual win against the New York Islanders with a lower-body injury. They can exhale on Sunday, as head coach Kirk Muller said that Staal will only be out five-to-six days, the Raleigh News & Observer’s Chip Alexander reports.
One would assume that Muller gave that estimate regarding the team’s 29-year-old captain because the Hurricanes have games on Thursday (Jan. 9) and Friday (Jan. 10).
Again, it might not be the Hurricanes alone who are interested in this update. If Staal is on the bubble for Team Canada, a more significant issue could conceivably push him out of the picture. Instead, it sounds like it will come down to whether or not GM Steve Yzerman & Co. believe that he should make the cut.
Staal’s Hurricanes are facing the Nashville Predators on Sunday.
Update: Carolina seemingly dodged a bullet in that Predators game, as Jeff Skinner returned to action despite taking a puck to the face.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 31
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 52
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 25
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 24
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)