Caps’ Holtby admits confidence is shaken after 5-3 loss to Wild

Jan 5, 2014, 10:46 AM EDT

Ryan Suter, Braden Holtby, Mike Green AP

Giving up five goals is hard for any goalie. Giving up five goals in just 11 shots makes for a nightmare. That’s just what happened to Capitals goalie Braden Holtby last night against the Minnesota Wild.

Holtby was making his first start since December 21 after seeing Philipp Grubauer take hold of the starting job in the meantime. Coming back and getting lit up the way he did last night wasn’t great for his confidence as Katie Carrera of The Washington Post shares.

“It’s all about getting the confidence back, somehow some way,” Holtby said. “If I’m full of confidence I guess I make that fifth goal save that one that could really keep us in the game. That’s the one I really don’t like. That’s the one I need to have. The other four, do what you want on them. Maybe I play them differently maybe they still go in, who knows. But that fifth one is something – I’ll work on the 2-on-1s and make sure I’m better and work on screens obviously.”

It’s always the last one that sticks in your craw, isn’t it?

The loss was Holtby’s third in a row and he’s given up five goals in all three of those starts. With starts coming more sporadically of late, this could mean coach Adam Oates defers to Grubauer or even Michal Neuvirth to get something going for his team.

Latest Posts
  1. Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career

Apr 1, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT

Getty Images

He’s having a “down year,” apparently.

2. ‘My first reaction was, oh my God, my eye is gone,’ says Detroit’s Miller

Apr 1, 2015, 8:18 PM EDT

MillerFace2

Red Wings forward reflects on Tuesday’s scary skate cut incident.

3. Voynov trial pushed back, again

Apr 1, 2015, 7:15 PM EDT

Sasha Voynov Sasha Voynov

Kings defenseman also suffered a ruptured Achilles.

4. WATCH LIVE: Flyers at Penguins on Rivalry Night

Apr 1, 2015, 6:38 PM EDT

crosbygirouxgetty Getty Images

Catch the game on NBCSN, or with NBCSports.com’s Live Extra.

5. After eight-game absence, St. Louis back for Rangers tomorrow

Apr 1, 2015, 6:13 PM EDT

New York Rangers v Tampa Bay Lightning Getty Images

He’ll play on a line with Carl Hagelin and Kevin Hayes.

6. Sharks send Goldobin to AHL Worcester

Apr 1, 2015, 5:26 PM EDT

Nikolay Goldobin Getty Images

Has been playing in Finland this season.

7. Numbers suggest Ducks are playing much better hockey

Apr 1, 2015, 4:24 PM EDT

John Gibson, Francois Beauchemin, Cam Fowler, Simon Despres AP

Certainly better than they were in February.

8. Hammond, Hudler, and Dubnyk are NHL’s three stars of the month

Apr 1, 2015, 3:27 PM EDT

Calgary Flames v Nashville Predators Getty Images

Did you know only six players in the entire NHL have more points than Hudler?

9. Video: Kane urges patience, but ‘trying to heal as fast as I can’

Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT

Patrick Kane AP

“I think the timetable’s still at the 12-week mark.”

10. Goalie nods: Stalock starts third straight for Sharks

Apr 1, 2015, 2:27 PM EDT

San Jose Sharks v Los Angeles Kings - Game Six Getty Images

News and notes from around the crease…

11. Video: Babcock got a little snippy with the media last night

Apr 1, 2015, 1:04 PM EDT

Mike Babcock Getty Images

“You guys when you’re asking me these questions, you guys want to be negative more than me.”

12. Patrick Kane is practicing today

Apr 1, 2015, 12:07 PM EDT

Kane practicing

Has it been 12 weeks already?

Can anything stop Tampa Bay?
Top 10 NHL Player Searches