Jan 5, 2014, 9:47 PM EST
Really, Jeff Skinner‘s Sunday might represent the image the team is trying to project. Many gasped when he took the puck to the face (the young forward has dealt with concussion issues, after all), but the 21-year-old came back and scored the game-winner.
Skinner now has an outstanding 20 goals in 32 games played this season.
Then again, the real key might be Anton Khudobin‘s return from injury. The 27-year-old strated off strong for Carolina, but he was sidelined from Oct. 13 to Jan. 2 with an injury. He’s now 5-0-0 with an outstanding .940 save percentage and 1.99 GAA on the season, certainly making Ward’s injury situation seem like less of a concern. (It is the season of backups, after all.)
With this win, Carolina is now 18-6-9. One might say “Imagine what they could do if they were completely healthy,” yet the Hurricanes simply seem used to this. In the case of their goaltending, it might even be a blessing in disguise.
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 5
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 4
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 21
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)