Jan 4, 2014, 12:18 PM EDT
For the third consecutive year, Sweden has defeated Russia by a single goal in a World Juniors’ playoff game.
The Nashville Predators’ Filip Forsberg and Pittsburgh Penguins’ Oskar Sundqvist each found the back of the net for Sweden in their 2-1 win today. Swedish goaltender Oscar Dansk, who was taken by the Columbus Blue Jackets with the 31st overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, also played a key role in the victory with 27 saves.
It was when the game ended though that tensions boiled over as several of the Russian and Swedish players broke into a sparring match. Most notably, Swedish defenseman Jesper Pettersson jumped out of the penalty box to attack Andrei Mironov.
You can see the brawl below:
Mironov and Pettersson were both given roughing minors for their actions.
Sweden will attempt to win the gold medal at home against the winner of the Canada-Finland game. Russia will attempt to secure their second straight Bronze medal.
Apr 21, 2015, 1:52 AM EDT
The Jets, and Winnipeg, feel the crush of defeat.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:55 AM EDT
Down 2-1 in the series.
Apr 21, 2015, 12:33 AM EDT
Another comeback victory for Anaheim.
Apr 20, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Devan Dubnyk produces his first playoff shutout.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:37 PM EDT
It drew a two-minute roughing penalty.
Apr 20, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
No call on the first collision.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
Will shifting locales produce interesting results?
Apr 20, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
A close-to-perfect road effort from New York.
Apr 20, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Apr 20, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
New Jersey’s only player who went under the knife this offseason.
Apr 20, 2015, 8:51 PM EDT
He needs some help, though.
Apr 20, 2015, 7:36 PM EDT
Sleepy start by Pittsburgh.
Apr 20, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
His issue is an upper-body injury.
Apr 20, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
But will he be around to see it happen?
Apr 20, 2015, 4:49 PM EDT
Things can change quickly in the playoffs.
Apr 20, 2015, 3:40 PM EDT
He did share some buzzwords though.
Apr 20, 2015, 2:30 PM EDT
Upper-body injury for the veteran forward.
Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’
Apr 20, 2015, 2:21 PM EDT
Was he talking about the Oilers? Sharks?
Apr 20, 2015, 1:47 PM EDT
Corey Crawford will sit, once again, against the Preds.
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 21
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 39
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 90
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 20
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (92)