Jan 4, 2014, 12:18 PM EST
For the third consecutive year, Sweden has defeated Russia by a single goal in a World Juniors’ playoff game.
The Nashville Predators’ Filip Forsberg and Pittsburgh Penguins’ Oskar Sundqvist each found the back of the net for Sweden in their 2-1 win today. Swedish goaltender Oscar Dansk, who was taken by the Columbus Blue Jackets with the 31st overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft, also played a key role in the victory with 27 saves.
It was when the game ended though that tensions boiled over as several of the Russian and Swedish players broke into a sparring match. Most notably, Swedish defenseman Jesper Pettersson jumped out of the penalty box to attack Andrei Mironov.
You can see the brawl below:
Mironov and Pettersson were both given roughing minors for their actions.
Sweden will attempt to win the gold medal at home against the winner of the Canada-Finland game. Russia will attempt to secure their second straight Bronze medal.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 PM EST
Roberto Luongo: quiet, so far.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:27 PM EST
Tyler Seguin is just on fire right now.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:09 PM EST
Dallas scored once on the resulting five-minute major penalty.
Mar 8, 2014, 10:59 PM EST
Seeding battles heat up.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:55 PM EST
Jaroslav Halak wins in his Washington debut.
Mar 8, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
He scored the game-winner for New Jersey against Carolina.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:53 PM EST
A solid Saturday for the Sens.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:24 PM EST
His No. 9 ascends to the rafters.
Mar 8, 2014, 8:11 PM EST
His latest acquisitions Matt Moulson and Cody McCormick are set to debut Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 7:39 PM EST
Sounds like he’ll take his talents to Europe instead.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:37 PM EST
He was diagnosed with bacterial meningitis earlier this month.
Mar 8, 2014, 6:16 PM EST
Craig Anderson made 46 saves on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 5:45 PM EST
Making a strong first impression in St. Louis.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:55 PM EST
Petr Mrazek will backup Jimmy Howard.
Mar 8, 2014, 4:28 PM EST
The Leafs have called up Frazer McLaren.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:49 PM EST
She had a 0.96 GAA and .954 save percentage in the Olympics.
Mar 8, 2014, 3:21 PM EST
He suffered the injury last Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 2:42 PM EST
He might not be ready for the start of the playoffs either, should Columbus get that far.
Mar 8, 2014, 1:58 PM EST
Guess who holds that record?
Mar 8, 2014, 1:16 PM EST
The Capitals drafted him in 2010, but he’s been playing in the KHL.
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 0
- Thomas forced into Stars debut after Wild’s Haula bloodies Lehtonen 4
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 7
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 9
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 31
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)