Jan 4, 2014, 10:58 PM EST
Ryan Suter might just rank as the clearest no-brainer to make the U.S. Olympic team, yet “wicked shot” probably isn’t prominently on his resume. Still, he made the most of his attempts on Saturday, as his hat trick powered a 5-3 win for the Minnesota Wild against the Washington Capitals.
The Wild only managed a franchise-low 11 shots on goal overall, so there’s something fitting about Suter’s hat trick coming on his only three shots on goal.
He became the first Wild defenseman with a hat trick and it was the first hat trick of his NHL career, according to various onlookers (we’ll clarify if this isn’t true).
His first tally almost seemed to feature Shea Weber-like power:
The second (also on the power-play) was more about accuracy and timing, which is more expected from the 28-year-old:
Finally, he made it 5-3 with this snap shot:
Suter & Co. didn’t get a ton of chances on Saturday, but they obviously made the most of them.
The Wild blueliner seemed as surprised as anyone by his output, as he told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo.
“I can’t get this smile off my face,” Suter said. “I can’t even score two goals in summer hockey.”
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 59
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 23
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc (59)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)