Jan 4, 2014, 10:58 PM EDT
Ryan Suter might just rank as the clearest no-brainer to make the U.S. Olympic team, yet “wicked shot” probably isn’t prominently on his resume. Still, he made the most of his attempts on Saturday, as his hat trick powered a 5-3 win for the Minnesota Wild against the Washington Capitals.
The Wild only managed a franchise-low 11 shots on goal overall, so there’s something fitting about Suter’s hat trick coming on his only three shots on goal.
He became the first Wild defenseman with a hat trick and it was the first hat trick of his NHL career, according to various onlookers (we’ll clarify if this isn’t true).
His first tally almost seemed to feature Shea Weber-like power:
The second (also on the power-play) was more about accuracy and timing, which is more expected from the 28-year-old:
Finally, he made it 5-3 with this snap shot:
Suter & Co. didn’t get a ton of chances on Saturday, but they obviously made the most of them.
The Wild blueliner seemed as surprised as anyone by his output, as he told the Minneapolis Star-Tribune’s Michael Russo.
“I can’t get this smile off my face,” Suter said. “I can’t even score two goals in summer hockey.”
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 40
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 9
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 39
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 21
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)