Jan 4, 2014, 12:15 AM EST
In his second game as a member of the Flames, Westgarth fought Lightning forward Ryan Malone in a quick scrap just before the midway point of the first period.
Westgarth was acquired by the Flames in a trade with the Carolina Hurricanes on Dec. 30. He’s not a goal scorer, but brings an element of toughness coveted by acting general manager Brian Burke.
“I’ve liked him since he played college hockey … I liked him in the American League,” Burke said earlier this week. “What he brings is what we desperately need: Size and toughness.”
Of course, the Flames, with Friday’s shutout loss, could use some scoring. They’ve lost four straight games, been outscored 10-1 in that span, which includes being held off the score board entirely in three of those games.
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (73)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)