Jan 4, 2014, 12:15 AM EDT
In his second game as a member of the Flames, Westgarth fought Lightning forward Ryan Malone in a quick scrap just before the midway point of the first period.
Westgarth was acquired by the Flames in a trade with the Carolina Hurricanes on Dec. 30. He’s not a goal scorer, but brings an element of toughness coveted by acting general manager Brian Burke.
“I’ve liked him since he played college hockey … I liked him in the American League,” Burke said earlier this week. “What he brings is what we desperately need: Size and toughness.”
Of course, the Flames, with Friday’s shutout loss, could use some scoring. They’ve lost four straight games, been outscored 10-1 in that span, which includes being held off the score board entirely in three of those games.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 45
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5