Jan 4, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Update: The Colorado Avalanche took advantage of the second period outburst noted below to beat the San Jose Sharks 4-3 on Saturday, extending their winning streak to three games. In the process, Nathan MacKinnon collected two goals to give him the 2013-14 rookie scoring lead.
(MacKinnon now has 26 points, passing injured Sharks rookie Tomas Hertl.)
After beating Columbus and Philadelphia earlier this week, the Avalanche struck first against the Sharks when rookie Nathan MacKinnon scored a power-play goal late in the first period.
That was all the offense either team could provide through 20 minutes, but the Avalanche broke this game open early in the second period. Jamie McGinn and Erik Johnson scored just 52 seconds apart to chase goaltender Antti Niemi out of the contest. Niemi stopped just 11 of 14 shots in 25:45 minutes.
The Avalanche didn’t give backup Alex Stalock a chance to settle in before Nathan MacKinnon scored his second goal of the night and the team’s third in just over a minute.
That gave Colorado a commanding four-goal lead, but the Sharks have made it a match again with markers from Joe Pavelski and Patrick Marleau. In total, the two teams found the back of the net five times over the span of 5:18 minutes.
If you want to see that flurry of goals, you can do so below:
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 24
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 39
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 22
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 23
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 47
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 135
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 40
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51