Jan 4, 2014, 5:45 PM EST
Update: The Colorado Avalanche took advantage of the second period outburst noted below to beat the San Jose Sharks 4-3 on Saturday, extending their winning streak to three games. In the process, Nathan MacKinnon collected two goals to give him the 2013-14 rookie scoring lead.
(MacKinnon now has 26 points, passing injured Sharks rookie Tomas Hertl.)
After beating Columbus and Philadelphia earlier this week, the Avalanche struck first against the Sharks when rookie Nathan MacKinnon scored a power-play goal late in the first period.
That was all the offense either team could provide through 20 minutes, but the Avalanche broke this game open early in the second period. Jamie McGinn and Erik Johnson scored just 52 seconds apart to chase goaltender Antti Niemi out of the contest. Niemi stopped just 11 of 14 shots in 25:45 minutes.
The Avalanche didn’t give backup Alex Stalock a chance to settle in before Nathan MacKinnon scored his second goal of the night and the team’s third in just over a minute.
That gave Colorado a commanding four-goal lead, but the Sharks have made it a match again with markers from Joe Pavelski and Patrick Marleau. In total, the two teams found the back of the net five times over the span of 5:18 minutes.
If you want to see that flurry of goals, you can do so below:
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 13
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 15
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)