Jan 4, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Update: The Colorado Avalanche took advantage of the second period outburst noted below to beat the San Jose Sharks 4-3 on Saturday, extending their winning streak to three games. In the process, Nathan MacKinnon collected two goals to give him the 2013-14 rookie scoring lead.
(MacKinnon now has 26 points, passing injured Sharks rookie Tomas Hertl.)
After beating Columbus and Philadelphia earlier this week, the Avalanche struck first against the Sharks when rookie Nathan MacKinnon scored a power-play goal late in the first period.
That was all the offense either team could provide through 20 minutes, but the Avalanche broke this game open early in the second period. Jamie McGinn and Erik Johnson scored just 52 seconds apart to chase goaltender Antti Niemi out of the contest. Niemi stopped just 11 of 14 shots in 25:45 minutes.
The Avalanche didn’t give backup Alex Stalock a chance to settle in before Nathan MacKinnon scored his second goal of the night and the team’s third in just over a minute.
That gave Colorado a commanding four-goal lead, but the Sharks have made it a match again with markers from Joe Pavelski and Patrick Marleau. In total, the two teams found the back of the net five times over the span of 5:18 minutes.
If you want to see that flurry of goals, you can do so below:
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 8
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 24
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)