Jan 4, 2014, 5:45 PM EDT
Update: The Colorado Avalanche took advantage of the second period outburst noted below to beat the San Jose Sharks 4-3 on Saturday, extending their winning streak to three games. In the process, Nathan MacKinnon collected two goals to give him the 2013-14 rookie scoring lead.
(MacKinnon now has 26 points, passing injured Sharks rookie Tomas Hertl.)
After beating Columbus and Philadelphia earlier this week, the Avalanche struck first against the Sharks when rookie Nathan MacKinnon scored a power-play goal late in the first period.
That was all the offense either team could provide through 20 minutes, but the Avalanche broke this game open early in the second period. Jamie McGinn and Erik Johnson scored just 52 seconds apart to chase goaltender Antti Niemi out of the contest. Niemi stopped just 11 of 14 shots in 25:45 minutes.
The Avalanche didn’t give backup Alex Stalock a chance to settle in before Nathan MacKinnon scored his second goal of the night and the team’s third in just over a minute.
That gave Colorado a commanding four-goal lead, but the Sharks have made it a match again with markers from Joe Pavelski and Patrick Marleau. In total, the two teams found the back of the net five times over the span of 5:18 minutes.
If you want to see that flurry of goals, you can do so below:
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 1
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 3
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 29
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)