Jan 4, 2014, 12:58 PM EDT
Will the World Junior Championship be held in a nontraditional market in the near future? Tampa Sports Commission executive director Rob Higgins hopes so.
With the United States scheduled to host the 2018 World Juniors, Higgins would like Tampa Bay to be considered as a potential venue.
“We’ve started to lay the groundwork to learn more about the bid process,” Higgins told the Tampa Tribune. “I’ve had some initial correspondence with USA Hockey, and we are still a ways off from the official bid process, but it’s definitely an event we would like to learn more about.”
The Lightning’s Tampa Bay Times Forum would be a host arena if the bid is success, but they would need a second location. The ECHL Florida Everblades’ Germain Arena in Estero, Florida might fill that void.
Tampa Bay hosted the NCAA Frozen Four in 2012 and is slated to do so again in 2016. Higgins is hoping that will help convince USA Hockey that a World Junior Championship in the Florida city could work.
The bidding process won’t formally start until 2015 and we’ll have to wait until the fall of that year to find out who the winner is.
- Who has the best and worst special teams in the NHL? 1
- Report: NHL pondering more draft lottery changes 4
- Playoff bubble watch — Stars edition 2
- Playoff race update: Jets smash Stars, muddy West picture 10
- Rangers foiled by Sharks’ Niemi, controversial no-goal 22
- Blues’ Tarasenko will undergo hand surgery, out at least six weeks 8
- Help’s on the way: Letang, Bennett cleared for practices 10
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series 59
- NHL on NBCSN: Detroit pumped to face Chicago 4
- NHL on NBC: Penguins and Flyers resume rivalry as playoff race continues 7
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (62)
- Penguins rally falls short as Flyers sweep weekend series (59)