Jan 4, 2014, 9:56 PM EDT
You know a game is jam-packed with storylines when Darryl Sutter’s 1,000th game as an NHL head coach seems like a mere afterthought (though Sutter probably prefers it that way).
We already found out that Roberto Luongo will be back for the Vancouver Canucks, but now hockey fans will delight in a possible matchup of Olympic starting goalies, as Jonathan Quick returns for the Los Angeles Kings.
Luongo, 34, hasn’t played since Dec. 22, but that’s chump change compared to the rust Quick might be fighting off. Quick, 27, hasn’t appeared since injuring himself on Nov. 12.
This news would be bigger, naturally, if the Kings hadn’t enjoyed surprisingly strong goaltending from relatively inexperienced goalies Martin Jones and Ben Scrivens. Still, with a five-game losing streak haunting Los Angeles, Quick’s return probably comes at an opportune time.
It’s quite possible that the Kings traded Dan Carcillo in part to keep their three goalies in the mix, so maybe there’s some question as to whether Quick is truly ready to go.
Really, that just makes it all the more fascinating, though.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)