Jan 4, 2014, 1:45 AM EDT
The good news: Nail Yakupov, the former first-round pick who has found himself in the doghouse of head coach Dallas Eakins and a healthy scratch on numerous occasions, scored for a second straight game.
The bad news: The Edmonton Oilers were once again the second best team on the ice, resulting in yet another loss. They continue to pile up – 26 in regulation all totaled.
The Oilers are now 44 games into the season and don’t seem to be showing any signs of improvement; in fact, one could argue they’re getting worse. The latest loss came Friday, as the Oilers coughed up a one-goal lead in the first period, before losing 5-2 to the Anaheim Ducks.
This time, it was Ilya Bryzgalov in goal.
He continued: “We’ve been hanging around in games but always seem to find a way to blow a lead.”
True, the Oilers gave up a lead – a one-goal lead in the first period. In the final 40 minutes, however, they managed just eight shots on goal.
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 21
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 15
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- Tandem locked: Sens re-sign Anderson to three-year, $12.6M deal 9
- It’s Toronto Maple Leafs day on PHT 10
- Fanspeak: Maurice Richard named greatest player in Canadiens history 15
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day on PHT 11