Jan 4, 2014, 1:45 AM EDT
The good news: Nail Yakupov, the former first-round pick who has found himself in the doghouse of head coach Dallas Eakins and a healthy scratch on numerous occasions, scored for a second straight game.
The bad news: The Edmonton Oilers were once again the second best team on the ice, resulting in yet another loss. They continue to pile up – 26 in regulation all totaled.
The Oilers are now 44 games into the season and don’t seem to be showing any signs of improvement; in fact, one could argue they’re getting worse. The latest loss came Friday, as the Oilers coughed up a one-goal lead in the first period, before losing 5-2 to the Anaheim Ducks.
This time, it was Ilya Bryzgalov in goal.
He continued: “We’ve been hanging around in games but always seem to find a way to blow a lead.”
True, the Oilers gave up a lead – a one-goal lead in the first period. In the final 40 minutes, however, they managed just eight shots on goal.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 9
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 22
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)