Jan 4, 2014, 10:26 PM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle expressed relief that HBO’s cameras are no longer following his team to document the build-up for the 2014 Winter Classic. After being throttled by the New York Rangers 7-1 on Saturday, maybe he’ll miss those prying lenses.
The bullet points are just brutal for the Maple Leafs, who had won three straight games despite being badly out-shot (as per usual, as The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle points out).
- Jonathan Bernier was pulled from the game after allowing five goals on 32 shots, but James Reimer allowed two more … after seeing 18 additional shots.
- They held a lengthy meeting (either between players, with Carlyle likely berating them or both) following the drubbing.
- David Clarkson and Carl Gunnarsson were lost to injuries.
No one acted like this was anything but a lousy loss.
So, what’s next, then? Carlyle had an interesting-if-grim outlook.
“Now it’s back to the drawing board,” Carlyle said.
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 5
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 28
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)