Jan 4, 2014, 10:26 PM EDT
Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle expressed relief that HBO’s cameras are no longer following his team to document the build-up for the 2014 Winter Classic. After being throttled by the New York Rangers 7-1 on Saturday, maybe he’ll miss those prying lenses.
The bullet points are just brutal for the Maple Leafs, who had won three straight games despite being badly out-shot (as per usual, as The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle points out).
- Jonathan Bernier was pulled from the game after allowing five goals on 32 shots, but James Reimer allowed two more … after seeing 18 additional shots.
- They held a lengthy meeting (either between players, with Carlyle likely berating them or both) following the drubbing.
- David Clarkson and Carl Gunnarsson were lost to injuries.
No one acted like this was anything but a lousy loss.
So, what’s next, then? Carlyle had an interesting-if-grim outlook.
“Now it’s back to the drawing board,” Carlyle said.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)