Jan 4, 2014, 10:26 PM EST
Toronto Maple Leafs head coach Randy Carlyle expressed relief that HBO’s cameras are no longer following his team to document the build-up for the 2014 Winter Classic. After being throttled by the New York Rangers 7-1 on Saturday, maybe he’ll miss those prying lenses.
The bullet points are just brutal for the Maple Leafs, who had won three straight games despite being badly out-shot (as per usual, as The Globe & Mail’s James Mirtle points out).
- Jonathan Bernier was pulled from the game after allowing five goals on 32 shots, but James Reimer allowed two more … after seeing 18 additional shots.
- They held a lengthy meeting (either between players, with Carlyle likely berating them or both) following the drubbing.
- David Clarkson and Carl Gunnarsson were lost to injuries.
No one acted like this was anything but a lousy loss.
So, what’s next, then? Carlyle had an interesting-if-grim outlook.
“Now it’s back to the drawing board,” Carlyle said.
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 1
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (45)