Jan 4, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
After starting in five straight games, Philipp Grubauer will warm the bench Saturday night, allowing Braden Holtby to play for the first time in two weeks, according to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera.
Holtby has been waiting for his chance at redemption after allowing 10 goals in his last two starts. The rise of 22-year-old netminder Grubauer has put Holtby’s status as the team’s starter into question, but he’s hoping to grow through adversity.
Meanwhile, Michal Neuvirth will be listed as a healthy scratch for the 10th consecutive contest. Like Holtby, Neuvirth has expressed his frustrations over the situation. However, at this point Neuvirth’s agent would like to see his client get traded.
Grubauer has only played in 13 career NHL games, so his spot on the team isn’t secure. A strong showing by Holtby against the Minnesota Wild tonight could go a long way towards re-establishing the former norm in Washington. At the same time, if the Wild light up Holtby, then it will only serve to deepen the goaltending controversy.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)