Jan 4, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
After starting in five straight games, Philipp Grubauer will warm the bench Saturday night, allowing Braden Holtby to play for the first time in two weeks, according to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera.
Holtby has been waiting for his chance at redemption after allowing 10 goals in his last two starts. The rise of 22-year-old netminder Grubauer has put Holtby’s status as the team’s starter into question, but he’s hoping to grow through adversity.
Meanwhile, Michal Neuvirth will be listed as a healthy scratch for the 10th consecutive contest. Like Holtby, Neuvirth has expressed his frustrations over the situation. However, at this point Neuvirth’s agent would like to see his client get traded.
Grubauer has only played in 13 career NHL games, so his spot on the team isn’t secure. A strong showing by Holtby against the Minnesota Wild tonight could go a long way towards re-establishing the former norm in Washington. At the same time, if the Wild light up Holtby, then it will only serve to deepen the goaltending controversy.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 6
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 1
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)