Jan 4, 2014, 1:48 PM EST
After starting in five straight games, Philipp Grubauer will warm the bench Saturday night, allowing Braden Holtby to play for the first time in two weeks, according to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera.
Holtby has been waiting for his chance at redemption after allowing 10 goals in his last two starts. The rise of 22-year-old netminder Grubauer has put Holtby’s status as the team’s starter into question, but he’s hoping to grow through adversity.
Meanwhile, Michal Neuvirth will be listed as a healthy scratch for the 10th consecutive contest. Like Holtby, Neuvirth has expressed his frustrations over the situation. However, at this point Neuvirth’s agent would like to see his client get traded.
Grubauer has only played in 13 career NHL games, so his spot on the team isn’t secure. A strong showing by Holtby against the Minnesota Wild tonight could go a long way towards re-establishing the former norm in Washington. At the same time, if the Wild light up Holtby, then it will only serve to deepen the goaltending controversy.
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 1
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 3
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 20
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 19
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)