Jan 4, 2014, 1:48 PM EDT
After starting in five straight games, Philipp Grubauer will warm the bench Saturday night, allowing Braden Holtby to play for the first time in two weeks, according to the Washington Post’s Katie Carrera.
Holtby has been waiting for his chance at redemption after allowing 10 goals in his last two starts. The rise of 22-year-old netminder Grubauer has put Holtby’s status as the team’s starter into question, but he’s hoping to grow through adversity.
Meanwhile, Michal Neuvirth will be listed as a healthy scratch for the 10th consecutive contest. Like Holtby, Neuvirth has expressed his frustrations over the situation. However, at this point Neuvirth’s agent would like to see his client get traded.
Grubauer has only played in 13 career NHL games, so his spot on the team isn’t secure. A strong showing by Holtby against the Minnesota Wild tonight could go a long way towards re-establishing the former norm in Washington. At the same time, if the Wild light up Holtby, then it will only serve to deepen the goaltending controversy.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)