Jan 4, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
For the first time since 2006, Finland will earn a medal in the World Junior Championship.
After a scoreless first period, Joni Nikko got Finland on the board first at 4:19 minutes of the second frame. From there it was all downhill for Canada.
Jonathan Drouin, who was taken by Tampa Bay with the third overall in the 2013 NHL Entry Draft, found the back of the net midway through the second period to cut Finland’s lead down to 2-1. However, any momentum Canada might have gotten from that marker was lost when Drouin subsequently received a misconduct for a high hit.
Finland had a 3-1 edge through 40 minutes and Chicago Blackhawks prospect Teuvo Teravainen added insult to injury with a pair of late third period goals to complete the 5-1 victory. Juuse Saros turned aside 23 of 24 shots while Zachary Fucale only made 18 saves for Canada.
That sets up a gold medal match between Finland and Sweden. Meanwhile, Canada has failed to win it all for a fifth straight year. The best they can hope for now is a victory against Russia to avoid going completely empty handed. Those two countries met in the bronze medal game last year and Canada ended up losing 6-5 in overtime.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 1
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 5
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 9
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)