Jan 4, 2014, 9:14 PM EDT
To state the obvious, it’s a tough blow for the Hurricanes, a team that seemed to be getting a little bit healthier lately.
It’s more problematic for Staal personally, however, as one cannot help but wonder if this is a bad time to get injured. After all, the Canadian Olympic roster announcements are just days away, as the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno points out.
The big 29-year-old was heating up lately, too, with five points in his previous two games coming into Saturday’s game. Overall, he’s generated 35 points in 42 games this season (counting tonight’s contest).
Update: Carolina fans can take heart that the Hurricanes won, at least, beating the Islanders 3-2.
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)