Jan 4, 2014, 9:14 PM EDT
To state the obvious, it’s a tough blow for the Hurricanes, a team that seemed to be getting a little bit healthier lately.
It’s more problematic for Staal personally, however, as one cannot help but wonder if this is a bad time to get injured. After all, the Canadian Olympic roster announcements are just days away, as the Canadian Press’ Stephen Whyno points out.
The big 29-year-old was heating up lately, too, with five points in his previous two games coming into Saturday’s game. Overall, he’s generated 35 points in 42 games this season (counting tonight’s contest).
Update: Carolina fans can take heart that the Hurricanes won, at least, beating the Islanders 3-2.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 17
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (58)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)